Zephyr

by Christian from Toronto

“Don’t get arrested and don’t get killed. Respect yourself. Respect others.”

Zephyr, being one of the most world-renowned graffiti artists to date, still feels that everyone has a right to do what they have to do, just be respectful and truthful to yourself. Don’t rip people off, and try not to get into too much trouble. He stands by this today and to me, is seen as a hero because of why he first began writing, and how he continued on into the art world. He felt that art should not only be in galleries in which only some people could afford, but it should be on the streets where anyone could see it.

Starting in the 70’s, Zephyr saw his first graffiti form on the city transit. As a 10 year old, he was totally amazed. He describes that seeing these pieces of art in front of him was magical; no words could describe it. From then on, he decided that he had wanted to get into the world of graffiti.

Zephyr and his good friend REVOLT have been writing together since they both started in the 70’s and 80’s. Zephyr has stayed loyal to him throughout his life and still talks with him to this day.

Zephyr contributed to a bunch of commercials against drug use and to help teens properly understand sex among each other. Along with the commercials for helping teens overcome the struggles of teens and sex, he used the creativity of his mind to become a book writer. He is now writing a book on the life of the person that he respected, DONDI.

Zephyr is my hero because of the way he shows his art and talent legally. Now, being a world-renowned graffiti artist and soon to be author, he showed how a kid with a love for art can turn into a legend. His determination as a child to be an artist has paved the way for many other young artists to get out there and show what they could do.

Zephyr - Gallery and Interview - ZEPHYR - Past, Present & Future