Amy Lee

by Liane from Anaheim

My hero is Amy Lee from my favorite band, Evanescence. She is the lead vocalist for the band and also plays the piano in their songs such as “My Immortal” and “Good Enough”. She was born in Riverside, California on December 13th, 1981 to her parents, John Lee and Sara Cargill as Amy Lynn Lee. She has one brother named Robbie and two sisters named Carrie and Lori. She had another sister who died at the age of three from an unidentified illness, which gave Amy the passion for some of the songs she has written during her career as a singer. As a child, she was involved with choir, (but never had private voice lessons), and many plays gave her the love of the stage and performing.

Amy Lee has written inspirational music that had touched the hearts of many. Her music and lyrics have inspired many young people to become singers and songwriters. Also, in 2006, she became the American Chairperson for Out of the Shadows, an international foundation with the goal of educating others about epilepsy. Amy's younger brother, Robbie, was previously diagnosed with epilepsy, giving her a reason to become involved in the cause. The foundation raised awareness and money to help find a cure for epilepsy.

Amy Lee is important to me because she is my inspiration for my dream of becoming a professional singer. I aspire to be just like her in her style of music and what she has chosen to dedicate herself to in her life. She is the person that I admire the most because of the way she has worked so hard to achieve what she has in life. Also, her lyrics have filled me with the passion to write and compose my own songs. Ever since I heard her song, “My Immortal” from her band’s album, “Anywhere But Home” (and later her band’s album, “Fallen”), I wanted to sing just like her.

Amy Lee is also important to me because her lyrics in her songs have helped me through tough times and showed me that my suffering was just joining the pain of the many people who suffer in this world. I can also relate to almost every lyric that she has written throughout her career. This made me see the world in a whole new light. Amy Lee is also important to me because she dedicated herself to a cause that was personal to her, as I hope to do myself some time in the future. The Out of the Shadows foundation to me is proof that everyone, no matter how famous, has a cause for their actions at heart.

Amy Lee is my hero because she has worked hard and brought herself to levels of greatness in her musical career with her band, Evanescence. She is my inspiration to be a singer and songwriter in a band in the future. Amy’s dedication to a cause that is close to her is also why she is my hero and the one I admire. Also, the closeness that I share with her lyrics is very strong, considering that we have been through some of the same things. She proved that no matter how hopeless a situation may be, there is always light at the end of the tunnel, no matter how far down the road it may be. That is why Amy Lee is my hero.