Abraham Lincoln

by Ashley from Ohio

Abraham Lincoln

Abraham Lincoln was a hero in many ways. He was a hero within, a hero near and far, and another kind of hero -- he gave freedom to many people, freedom throughout the whole world! He had courage, faith, hope, wisdom; he was loyal, truthful, and forgiving. To sum it up in a nutshell, Abe was an all around great person.

Abraham was born Feb. 12, 1809, in Hardin County, Kentucky. His parents' names were Thomas and Nancy Hanks Lincoln. When Abraham was seven, he moved to Kentucky. He went to school in Kentucky with his older sister, Sarah. In 1818, Abe's mother died from a horrible disease called milk sickness, which is a disease from drinking bad cow's milk. Thomas Lincoln got married the next year to Sarah Bush Johnsen Lincoln. Abe loved his new step-mother. Sarah brought three children of her own into the Lincoln household.

While Abraham was growing up, he loved to read. Abe was always borrowing books from his neighbors! In 1828, tragically, Abraham's sister died while giving birth. Abe moved to New Salem, Illinois and worked many jobs such as operating a store and serving as postmaster. While in Illinois, Abe wrestled the town bully, and got the nickname, "Honest Abe." Later in life, he started to study law in his spare time and then he became a lawyer in 1836. Lincoln met a woman named Mary Todd and throughout the next 15 years, they got married and had 4 children. The family bought a home in 1844. In 1846, Abe became part of the House of Representatives. After he went back home, he started to study law more seriously than ever. In February of 1861, Lincoln was a president.

Abraham Lincoln was a survivor hero because he out lived both of his parents. He is a hero near and far because he was the president who freed the slaves. Abe was also a hero within because he made it his goal to get into law.......and did even better, he was the president of the United States.

So now you know about why I chose Abraham Lincoln to be a hero....don't you think that he is a very great man? Abe was so honest and he could never tell a lie! In my opinion, I think that Abe was one of the best heroes in all American history.