Audie Murphy

by Forrest Obnamia, Dublin,Ohio

I think a hero should have many different character traits. He/she should have done something extraordinary for someone or a group of people. Usually they do something brave or courageous in their acts. Or they have persevered during rough times. Maybe they are adventurous or leaders of a group. Well, all these kind of people are people I would call heroes.

The hero I chose is a lifesaver. I chose Audie Murphy. He was born on June 20, 1925 near Kingston, Texas. He was one of 12 children and raised on his Dad’s farm. But his family was so poor he couldn’t have an education. When his dad couldn’t work, he persevered while he worked at the neighbors for money. He tried to join the army when he was 17 years old. He lied about his age and joined the army to earn money because his dad and mom died a year before.

When he left to North Africa to fight in World War II. Audie earned the Silver Star(the second most honorable medal in the army) two times. He adventured through the land and killed about 10 Germans on a hill where the Germans were in shelter. He did this act because his friend had just been killed by those germans. They knew this was so courageous they gave him the honor to be an officer without having a college education.

What Audie Murphy is mostly famous for is when his troops were trapped by a group of Germans. He did an extraordinary thing for his crew when they were retreating, Audie jumped on a tank,that was burning up, and shot down 250 Germans, 1 tank, and held off 6 other tanks. He was so brave for doing this he earned the most honorable medal in the army, the Congressional Medal of Honor. He even wrote a book on his life called To Hell and Back and in 1959 they made a movie of it that he stared in as himself. It became the best movie until they created Jaws.

Audie Murphy died on May 28,1871 from a plane crash. But he is considered still one of Americas greatest heroes. I hope this has told you why I think Audie Murphy is a hero. I believe Audie will be in the heart of America forever and ever.