Alexander the Great

by Andy from Center Valley

Alexander the Great is my hero because he took his army and with great courage and a stratigic and tactical mind counquered some of the greatest kingdoms of all time. In doing so he was responsible for the spread of Greek culture.

When he was born, his father had already conquered all of the mighty Greeks, and still had a huge army. When Alexander's father, Phillip II, was assasanaited, he took over the throne. He was only nineteen.

Before his death, Phillip II had planned an invasion of Persia, which had then controlled mondern-day Turkey, Ionia, Macedonia, Egypt, modern-day Iraq and Iran, and the Indus Valley. Alexander took his inherited army, and went to Thebes, which had revolted. He desroyed the city and sold the 8,000 survivors into slavery. He crushed a huge army of Persians and Greek mercenaries of 40,000 men, only with 35,000 men of his own, and only losing 110.

Alexander had some trouble with the enourmous Persian fleet, so, he defeated the Persians over and over again, conquering the entire Mediterrean coastline, made up of Phoenicia and and Egypt. At the mouth of the Nile River, he founded the city of Alexandria, which would later become the scientific, literary, and commercial center of the Greek world. Alexander followed the Egyptian tradition of supposedly becoming the Sun God Amon-Ra, so he made a pilgrimage to the Great Temple to do this.

Alexander won a decisive victory against the king of Persia, Darius III, slayed him and went on to conquer Babylon. Alexander finnally finished conquering Persia when he took over the Indus Valley. After that his troops refused to go any farther, so they all went back to Babylon, where he fell ill and died from a heavy fever, as an overweight drunk that shortly before his death had ordered his citizens to worship him as a god.