Abraham Lincoln

by Samir Morris from San Diego, California in United States

“Those who deny freedom to others, deserve it not for themselves” Abraham Lincoln

134431Abraham LincolnAlexander Gardner [Public domain]Abraham Lincoln was the president during the Civil War, a bloody battle between the Confederate and the Union Armies. He helped fight for the freedom of slaves. He didn't believe in the racial differences between whites and blacks. Abraham Lincoln was born on February 12, 1809. Lincoln was the sixteenth president of the United States. During the Civil War, he created the Emancipation Proclamation, the Gettysburg Address, and two other inaugural addresses. Lincoln is remembered as one of the most respected presidents into the twenty-first century. Lincoln was born in a log cabin on a farm in Hardin County, Kentucky. His father had come with his parents from Virginia and he grew up the Kentucky frontier. Lincoln was a successful farmer and carpenter. He purchased land near Elizabethtown. “He met his wife three years later and were married. His first wife’s name was Nancy Hanks, described as "intelligent, deeply deeply religious, kindly, and affectionate," but as "illiterate" as himself. Of her family and background, little authentic is known” (Rowan). A hero must possess strength and bravery. Abraham Lincoln possesses bravery and ended slavery, therefore he is a hero.

He was brave because he stood up for what he believed in and did not back away from his enemies. Abraham Lincoln bravely debated the absolution of slavery at a time where slavery was common in the United States. ¨Lincoln and Democratic congressman Stephen Douglas (1813–1861) debated the value of the Kansas-Nebraska Act in front of a large crowd. Lincoln denounced the act and the institution of slavery during the debate, arguing that slavery dishonored the spirit of the US Constitution,” (Gale). This is brave because he stood up for those without a voice. He is also brave because he spoke up for what he thought was right when a lot of people thought differently. Abraham Lincoln stood up for what he thought was right. He was brave because he stood up for what he believed in and did not back away from his enemies. “Abraham Lincoln bravely debated the abolition of slavery at a time where slavery was common in the United States. ¨Lincoln and Democratic congressman Stephen Douglas (1813–1861) debated the value of the Kansas-Nebraska Act in front of a large crowd. Lincoln denounced the act and the institution of slavery during the debate, arguing that slavery dishonored the spirit of the US Constitution,” (Gale). Abraham Lincoln firmly believed that slavery was wrong and stood up for what he wanted and thought he was right. He stood with people nobody wanted to have anything to do with which could have gotten him hurt. He had a debate against Stephen Douglass in front of a large crowd  to get rid of slavery which was a very common thing in the United States at the time for profit purposes.

134433Civil WarInternet Archive Book Images [No restrictions]Abraham Lincoln freed the slaves and wrote the Emancipation Proclamation to ensure it would actually take place. Abraham Lincoln signed the Emancipation Proclamation, an exclusive order freeing all slaves in the United States. “Lincoln issued the Emancipation Proclamation, an executive order that freed all slaves in the Southern states. Coming into effect in January 1863, the proclamation declared that any slave who escaped the South or was liberated by the Union Army would have his or her status changed from slave to free” (Gale). The freed slaves who joined the Union Army or who escaped from the South. On January 1863 he freed slaves by issuing the Emancipation Proclamation. Abraham Lincoln used the Emancipation Proclamation to free slaves. “The Executive Government of the United States, including the military and naval authority thereof, will recognize and maintain the freedom of such persons, and will do no act or acts to repress such persons, or any of them, in any efforts they may make for their actual freedom” (Lincoln). It talks about how the Emancipation Proclamation got rid of slavery. He then helped to pass the Thirteenth Amendment to the Constitution,which formally and forever ended slavery.  It's about how he was brave and ended slavery and all the trouble he went through and how he successfully finished what he worked so hard for.

Ending slavery, and his bravery, make Abraham Lincoln one of the most liked and popular also inspirational presidents of all time. Abraham Lincoln stood up for a race that was used brutally by the South for profit and were not concerned about them having individual freedoms. He was the leader who ended slavery in the United States and shortly thereafter was assassinated. He inspires me because he believed all men were equal and deserved to be free. Abraham Lincoln changed the course of history by freeing the slaves and therefor changed my life."That on the first day of January, in the year of our Lord one thousand eight hundred and sixty-three, all persons held as slaves within any State or designated part of a State, the people whereof shall then be in rebellion against the United States, shall be then, thenceforward, and forever free” (Lincoln).

Abraham Lincoln - About Abraham Lincoln
Abraham Lincoln - About Abraham Lincoln

"Abraham Lincoln." Encyclopedia of World Biography Online, Gale, 1998. Biography In Context, https://link.galegroup.com/apps/doc/K1631003963/BIC?u=powa9245&sid=BIC&xid=296f08de. Accessed 2 May 2019.

"Abraham Lincoln." Gale Student Resources in Context, Gale, 2018. Student Resources In Context, https://link.galegroup.com/apps/doc/BVTSEZ271136814/SUIC?u    

=powa9245&sid =SUIC&xid=720152d2. Accessed 3 May 2019.

Rowan, Lily. “Abraham Lincoln: One Brave President.” History Daily, 6 Feb. 2017,

historydaily.org/abraham-lincoln-one-brave-president.

Lincoln, Abraham. “The Emancipation Proclamation.” PDF.