Black History Month 

Celebrate Black History Month and the achievements of African Americans in civil rights, science, art and sports.

Credit: St. George

Click on the following thumbnails for curated stories, art and films on Civil Rights Heroes and World Leaders; Heroes in Art, Music & Literature; Sports Heroes and Science Heroes as we celebrate Black History Month.

Teachers: Visit the free MY HERO Black History Month Lesson Multimedia Plan. Includes discussion and activity guide and learning outcomes.

Black History Month | Civil Rights and World Leaders

By: MY HERO Staff

MY HERO Celebrates Black History Month. Be Inspired by African American Civil Rights Heroes and World Leaders Barack Obama, Ralph Bunche, Michelle Obama.

Black History Month | Heroes in Music, Art, and Literature

By: MY HERO Staff

MY HERO Celebrates Black History Month. Be inspired by African American Heroes in Music, Art, and Literature: Langston Hughes, Toni Morrison, Maya Angelou, Dizzy Gillepsie, Louis Armstrong, more.

Black History Month | Heroes in Sports

By: MY HERO Staff

MY HERO Celebrates Black History Month. Be inspired by African American Heroes in Sports who broke personal and professional barriers.

Black History Month | Heroes in the Sciences

By: MY HERO Staff

MY HERO Celebrates Black History with this feature on Heroes in the Sciences.

Stories

The historian Carter Woodson is known as the "Father of Black History Month."

In 1926, he established Negro History Week. He chose the second week of February to coincide with the birthdays of Frederick Douglass and Abraham Lincoln. Half a century later, this observance evolved into Black History Month, which we celebrate during the entire month of February.

Carter G. Woodson

By: Raven from Colorado

Carter Woodson, "Father of Black History Month," founded the Association for the Study of African American Life and History.

From Slavery to Speeches: Frederick Douglass

By: Sean Rollins

Frederick Douglass understood the power of stories. He wrote several autobiographies through his life, from slavery to statesman. He was a powerful advocate for the Abolitionist and Suffragist movement, and famous orator and writer.

Abraham Lincoln's Life, Leadership, & Legacy:

Excerpt from historian Doris Kearns Goodwin's Years with Lincoln: the importance of Lincoln's empathy and remembering the life stories of those we revere.

W.E.B. Dubois

By: Jennifer Beck

Martin Luther King, Jr. said, "History cannot ignore W.E.B. Dubois." Dubois was a leading 20th century writer and scholar who laid the intellectual foundations of African American literature and civil rights movement.

Katherine Johnson

By: Kyra from Ankara, Turkey
Her story was hidden for decades: Katherine Johnson plotted multiple flight courses for NASA, including the Apollo 11 spacecraft, the first spaceship to reach the moon.

Black History Month Films reflecting on the fight for civil rights

The March for Freedom 1963

Davon Johnson
Nonviolent civil disobedience based on Christian beliefs started long before the 1963 peaceful protest, March for Freedom on Washington D.C. PASSWORD: 2march4freedom1963

Citizenship

Produced by:Anson Schloat and John G. Young
A film about John Lewis on citizenship and character: "To be a good citizen is to obey the rules...the laws. Unless those laws conflict with your conscience.

William D Matthews: A Cure for Rebellion

Taegan Loy and Trent Powell

This documentary tells the story of William D. Matthews, the first African American officer in the Civil War, who assisted slaves escaping through the Underground Railroad, and heroically led troops to victory.

The March on Washington D.C. 1963

Devon Johnson

Two very talented Jazz musicians perform a tribute to MLK Jr. and the leadership of the March on Washington D.C. in 1963. The film features Mahatma Gandhi and Mother Theresa.

Black Future Month | Emerging Filmmakers

The following films, which were recognized at the MY HERO International Film Festival, are by two emerging African American student filmmakers. 

Bombingham

Produced by:Gabrielle Gorman

An expressionistic account of a devastating historical event by emerging filmmaker Gabrielle Gorman.

Bryan Stevenson

By: Arthur (Trey) Carlisle
Bryan Stevenson has been recognized across the globe for the work that he has done to address poverty and racial inequality.

Black History Month | Featured Hero Showcase: John Lewis

Congressman John Lewis, Portrait by Robert Shetterly, AWTT.org

By: Xenia Shin

To Celebrate Black History Month, we present stories, films, art and audio from the MY HERO archive highlighting the life of Congressman and Civil Rights Hero John Lewis.

Links to more Black History Month resources.

Learn about a New Hero Every Day of the Year: Visit the MY HERO Calendar

Share Your Hero Essays, Films and Art through our Create Program

Outstanding essays submitted to MY HERO will be considered for a certificate/t-shirt prize or be featured on the Story Homepage.

Submit your artwork to be entered in the MY HERO art contest or to be exhibited on our Gallery Homepage.

Students can submit their films for free with a waiver to the MY HERO International Film Festival.

Our Curators

Artwork curated by MY HERO Arts Education and Gallery director Victoria Murphy. 

Hero Stories curated by MY HERO General Editor and Writer Shannon Luders-Manuel.

Short films curated by MY HERO International Film Festival director Wendy Milette

Organizer created on 1/26/2015 12:46:18 PM by

Last edited 2/17/2020 9:22:22 PM by Xenia Shin