Anne Frank

by Jennifer Herrick

My hero should be a strong, willful, inspiring person. That’s what my hero is. My hero was a wonderful, strong, patient, optimistic, unselfish young girl. She was a girl who could be looked up to. She has inspired many people because of what she wrote in just a small diary. She helped the world understand that six million Jews were killed in the Holocaust long ago. She is called the “human face of the Holocaust.” Her name is Anne Frank.

She was a young Jewish girl with a big heart. In the 1940’s, Anne and her family lived in the Netherlands. Anne and her family lived happily until Hitler said all Jews were to be killed. Her family was one of the few families who escaped from the Nazis for twenty-five months. They were living in a secret annex for almost three years without stepping foot outside. Her family was very patient during this time. This trait in Anne demonstrates why she was a great hero until the Gestapo found them. The house was searched for everything of value. One of the men found Otto Frank’s (Anne’s Father) briefcase, where Anne’s diary was kept. He spilled the contents on the floor, but Anne said nothing. Everyone appeared calm, and they stayed silent as the men pushed their only possessions of value out a narrow door. Then they were allowed five minutes to get ready. The eight gathered their belongings, but Anne didn’t take her diary. She left its contents strewn on the floor as she took a last look at her secret home, her life, the only world she had known for almost three years.

After the family was arrested, they were all taken to concentration camps. Edith Frank, Anne’s mother, died of starvation in Auschwitz on January 6, 1945, a day before the camp was liberated. Margot, Anne’s sister, and Anne herself both died of typhus in Bergen-Belsen: Margot in March, 1945 and Anne in April, 1945, a few weeks before it too, was liberated. Otto Frank, her father, was the only survivor from the family. Anne died unjustly. If she had lived she would have been famous for her life not her death.

She was the “human face of the Holocaust”. She fits this because of all she did. She believed maybe she and her family would live. She wrote in her diary about was happening. She was a brave person of this time. She was patient and kind. She was the human face of this terrible time in history.

My hero should be a strong, willful, inspiring person. That’s what my hero is. My hero was a wonderful, strong, patient, optimistic, unselfish young girl. She was a girl who could be looked up to. She has inspired many people in what she wrote in just a small diary. She helped the world understand that 6 million Jews were killed in the Holocaust long ago. She is called the “human face of the Holocaust.” Her name is Anne Frank.