Bill Gates

by Daniel from Montvale

Bill Gates III, the founder and former CEO of Microsoft. That is how computer whizzes know him; a computer tech prodigy. We are not all computer geeks, so we know him as the richest man in America. Some would call him a genius, I am one of those people, and others would call him a just another rich guy. His genius started when he was a boy. He was small, and an awkward skinny person unlike his well built father and was never a very normal boy.

Bill was born October 28, 1955 in Seattle, Washington. He attended public school for a few years. His behavior was so bad there, that his parents sent him to a psychiatrist whom he saw for a year and a half.The psychiatrist helped him and got him thinking. Not wanting to send him back to public school, they sent him to a private school called Lakeside. That is where he saw his first computer at a time when computers took up the whole room, were noisy, and could only run word processors. He also met Paul Allen there, the co-founder of Microsoft. They founded their first company, Traf-o-Data which analyzed traffic data.

After Lakeside Bill went to Harvard to become a lawyer like his father. He was god at math but didi poor in other subjects. Things weren't going well for him in college so he dropped out to focus all his attention on Microsoft. He moved to New Mexico to start it. The company's first five clients went bankrupt, and in 1979 he moved the company to Seattle.

In 1994 Gates built a 40,000 square foot house on Lake Washington. Also in 1994, Bill married Melinda French, one of his employees! Another thing he did that year was establishing the Gates Millenium Scholarship Program and donating one billion dollars to it over 20 years.

Bill Gates is my hero because he is a very charitable person. He has donated billions to schools, associations, and established some of his ownprograms to help others in need. He is a great leader, heading Microsoft and being a father at the same time. He was determined to make his company work and he did it. He defeated other companies many times when being sued and even talked the govenrmant out of breaking his company up. Even as a child he overcame his behavioral problem and became a billionaire. That is why Bill Gates is My hero and not just another rich guy to me.

Microsoft - A description of his life. Talks a lot about the company.