George Herman Ruth

by Gavin from Center Valley

It was the third game of the 1932 World Series. "Babe" Ruth was at bat. The Great Bambino was in a slump of sorts against the Cubs, and it looked like he would strike out again with two strikes. He stepped out of the batter's box and took a deep breath. Then he did something that no other player had ever done. He pointed his bat at the center field fence. The Babe was calling his shot. Snickers came from the bleachers, but Babe was confident. On the next pitch the Babe cracked a towering 400 feet homerun. The longest that has ever been hit at Wrigley Field.

George Herman Ruth was born on February 6, 1895, in Baltime, Maryland. His heroic life started out bumpy growing up around his Father's salon. George was always mad. By age seven, he was out of control and was sent to St. Mary's Industrial School for orphin boys. There he not only learned not only about baseball, but about life. At St. Mary's, he got the nickname, "Babe" Ruth, because of his childish face. The nickname stuck with him for the rest of his life.

The Babe got many nick names throughout his life, for instance, The Great Bambino and the Sulton of Swat. The Great Bambino's career started out in the Baltimore Orioles' organization, but was sold in his first season the Boston Red Sox. The Sulton of Swat played pitcher, and he never got an at bat until late in his Red Sox career. In Boston, Ruth established himself as one of the elite pitchers in the game.

The foolish Red Sox owner decided to sell his rising star to the New York Yankees so he could do a Broadway show. Since this pointless transaction, the Boston Red Sox have never won the World Series. In New York, Ruth was converted to the outfield. This switch worked, for Babe Ruth hit 713 home runs, second all time.

Many people see the heroic qualities in a man born more than 100 years ago. This leader was not only a great baseball, but he was also a great guy. He helped people in need. That is why George Herman Ruth is my hero.