Bob Wank

by Courtney from Rancho Santa Margarita

Bob Wank is my hero because he is not only a regular policeman, but one who also helped search for people in New York after September 11, 2001. Mr. Wank and his dog, Aris, were asked to come to New York and help search for missing people. The people they were searching for were under mounds of rubble, which was back-breaking work.

While Mr. Wank and Aris searched for people for endless hours, he and many others showed people what they could do to help. Many people did help by giving blood and raising funds for the Red Cross. The whole time many others were mourning for those who died. People displayed American Flags to show their pride. Everybody wanted to help in some way.

Rescuers were constantly looking for people, and at the same time they were carrying out buckets and buckets of the remains of the Twin Towers (The World Trade Center). Something that made the devastating work longer and harder was whenever they thought they heard someone calling for help underneath the rubble, everybody would yell "silence!" The policemen and firemen would have to be dead silent. Most of the time it would be a false alarm. Also, the bodies were starting to rot, causing the smell to get worse than a skunk. Even though Mr. Wank and Aris never found anybody alive, they were still a big help in New York. Though there were a lot of firefighters and police with their search dogs too; they are definitely all heros.

Mr. Wank lives in California with his family, his wife, kids,and his beloved dog, Aris. He goes to church on Sundays. Speaking of church, Mr. Wank's hero is Jesus Christ. Two quotes that describe what Mr. Wank believes to be important are "Stay in school" and "Don't do drugs."

If I could say something to Mr. Wank it would be what I have already said in these paragraphs, and that is, he is my hero. The reason why I say this is because I want to be a lifesaver too. Bob Wank showed me what one person can do by giving up some of his or her time, whether it is going to New York to save lives or just helping out a neighbor or friend.