Brooke Ellison

by Mary McDonough from Selden, New York

Brooke Ellison (right) and her mother have written a book chronicling the family's challenges and triumphs. (Staff photo by Stephanie Mitchell with the Harvard University Gazette)

When Brooke Ellison was just 11 years old and in middle school, she decided to walk home from school on the first day. She had to cross a major road called Nickels Road. Then, disaster struck. A car hit her and she was unconscious. Brooke was rushed to Stony Brooke hospital and into the ER. They had to bandage her tongue, put a bandage around her arms and legs and operate on her spine. There was severe damage to her spine. She was paralyzed for the rest of her life.

Brooke is an inspiration to many people. She has written books on her experiences. One event she went through was not being able to talk for two weeks. She could not even breathe on her own. Another experience was when she could not go from room to room because her wheelchair was too big. Brooke is still in a wheelchair because she is permanently disabled.

A hero is someone who can overcome any tragic experience. Many people, such as everyday citizens, firefighters, moms, dads, police officers, and many more, are our heroes. A hero also is someone who gives love and things to charity. That is what a hero is.

Brooke Ellison opened my eyes to how human beings can overcome these horrible and amazing things and events that we experience. I can relate to her because I have knee problems and I am limited to the things I am able to do. I have had operations like she did. The only difference is that she is paralyzed. Even though I am limited in my mobility, I learned how to work around things and how to work with what I have. That is why she has opened my eyes.

In conclusion, Brooke Ellison and her family had to fight to get through this traumatic incident. She has graduated at the top of her class at Harvard College. Also she has written a book and shared with her fans and other people who are paralyzed her series of events. That is why Brooke Ellison is my hero.

Ellison, Brooke and Jean. Miracles Happen
One Mother, One Daughter, One Journey
. Hyperion

My hero is Brook Ellison. She is my hero because she is an inspiration to me. The reason she is an inspiration to me is that she overcame the most difficult tasks even though she was hit by a car and paralyzed. Many people are paralyzed and need some encouragement. I am amazed to see how far she has come. She has inspired many women and men in her condition.