Bethany Hamilton

by Jocelyn Renfro - High School - from Liberty, Missouri in United States

137091Bethany Hamilton Riding The Waves Flickr - troy_williams [Public domain]
On Halloween of 2003, Bethany Hamilton survived an attack you normally only see in the movies. She was only 13 when she went for a day to catch the waves and got bitten by a 14-foot tiger shark. There were many decisions that day that helped save her life, like using a towel and a surfboard leash to stop the blood, but there was one decision that she had to make that would change her life. Was she ever going to surf again?

She didn't even let that thought cross her mind. The only thing she wanted to do was get back on the waves. Within a month, Bethany was back riding the waves. The first time back she was very scared, but she never let that get in her head. And now to this day, she inspires many people to keep fighting even when times get hard. “I know life can be hard, but I've learned that even the biggest challenges and scariest fears can be overcome, no matter what you're facing.”

137092Bethany Speaking to Others About Her AttackEllsworth Air Force Base [Public domain]Bethany has not stopped helping people since she went through that horrible tragedy. She has since then created a charity called the “Friends of Bethany Foundation” that helps support shark attack survivors. She has also been asked by SurfAid International to speak to women who are going through some of the same tragedies that she is. She talks a lot about the importance of mental and physical health and also our hygiene. How you can't just take it for granted. 

Bethany Hamilton is a hero not only to me but to everyone that is going through something hard in their life. She has shown that you can go through some of the worst things possible and still live another day to help others. Her passion and willingness to get back out on the water shows to never give up. That you are not the only one going through this and to keep going. Bethany Hamilton has shown me that you should never give up and keep doing what you love. “I don't need easy, I just need possible.” -Bethany Hamilton

Bethany's Charities - Tells us about all of the things Bethany has done to help others and what she is doing now.