Bob Ross

by Ella from Canada

"We don't make mistakes, just happy little accidents","There's nothing wrong with having a tree as a friends"

Why I chose Bob Ross : I chose to write about Bob Ross because he was an amazing and inspiring man that even though he went through lots of struggle, he still managed to stay positive and be happy. He also inspired me to start painting , to be specific, oil painting. And I have already made many oil paintings such as a beach with a palm tree. Oil paintings are the paintings you see that have texture. I find his art very inspiring. I find that listening to him helps me calm myself down and helps me gain patience. He inspired me because he didn't care what other people thought and did whatever he wanted. Even though people would make fun of him he wouldn't let it change him. And I want to feel that same way. Unable to be changed because of what of what other people think.

122448Mind WebEllaAbout him : Bob Ross was an amazing , optimistic , peaceful , selfless man. He was always looking at the bright side of things, staying positive. He is an amazing artist , father , and husband. Bob Ross had a wife named Jane, who very sadly died on July 9th, 1999. Bob Ross was born October 29th, 1942, in Daytona Beach, Florida, United States. Bob Ross very sadly died July 4th, 1995, in New Smyrna, Florida, United States. His cause of death was caused by a sickness called ¨Lymphoma¨. It's a cancer cell that grows out of control, these cells are called Lymphocytes. Bob Ross discovered oil painting when he was in the U.S Air Force. He would use the the ¨wet on wet¨ technique which allowed him to make paintings in less than an hour. His Family :  Bob Ross´s parents were Ollie Ross and Jack Ross. He had one brother named Jim Ross. And of course, himself. He also had three children, Steven Ross, Morgan Ross, and Bob Ross, a child named after himself. He married a woman named Lynda Brown but divorced in 1981. He later remarried his wife, Jane Ross. He also had a pet squirrel named Peapod that he fed in one of his episodes of the Joy of Painting. His School  : Bob Ross went to Elizabeth Forward High School in Pennsylvania. His Childhood : Bob Ross grew up with his dad working as a carpenter and builder while his mother inspired Robert (Bob Ross) to have a strong connection with wildlife. What he enjoyed : Bob Ross enjoyed being outside and being around wildlife when he wasn't at school. Interesting Stories : Lots of people believe that Bob Ross went to jail, but that is actually a lie. Though he did spend 20 years in the U.S. Air Force minding people's medical records. Bob Ross started painting when he was stationed in Alaska. He painted as a way to pass time. Another interesting story that happened to him was that he actually originally had naturally straight hair. He decided to get a `fro because he thought it could save money not to get a haircut. He later on though decided he didn't want a `fro and wanted his natural straight hair back. But he couldn't get it back because his logo had already been made and published with his `fro so there was no going back. Who Inspired Him :  Bob Ross didn't actually come up with his painting style, he was inspired by William Alexander who also had a television show on painting that would help you to learn to paint. His Dreams : Bob Ross was very personal about his life and didn't like to go on interview shows and kept his life to himself. But I think that he probably at some point in his life he wanted to help wildlife since he had lots of respect for animals and the outdoors. He found his love and respect for animals from his mother, Ollie Ross. Foreshadowing: I think that his love for wildlife and the outdoors affected his painting career, considering he really only painted landscape.

122449Bob Ross PortraitEllaParagraph #3: Problems he faced:  A problem Bob Ross faced was that when he went from naturally straight hair to a classic ´fro to save money , he later decided he wanted his natural hair back… But there was no going back and he had to stick with his ´fro because his logo was already made and visible to the public so he had no choice but to stay with the ´fro. Another problem he faced was when he got cancer. The cancer is called Lymphoma. It was very hard for him and his family. For him because he was the one with the sickness, and his family because it's hard to see your father/husband in that kind of position. How he overcame this: He couldn't fix this problem. Well, actually he had the choice to go back but he chose not to because the creators of the logo would have to do a bunch of work and make a new logo. He very sadly couldn't overcome his sickness either. Because there was and still is no cure for cancer. Bob Ross then sadly passed on July 4th, 1999.Who Influenced him: Bob Ross didn't really invent the painting style known as the ¨wet on wet¨ technique. He learned his painting style from another painter who had a television show on how to paint. His name was William Alexander. How this affected him: William Alexander had an enormous influence on Bob Ross, the famous painter you know as Bob Ross didn't always used to paint… He actually used to work for the U.S. Air Force in. He started working there in 1960. William Alexander inspired Bob Ross to start painting and to become the famous painter you now know today as Bob Ross. His Talents/Qualities: If you have seen the art that Bob Ross has created, I don't have any explaining to do, But if you haven't then here is some of his best talents as a painter and himself in general. He had an amazing skill for art, specifically, oil paint. He was able to create beautiful masterpieces within 20-30 minutes. He also had an amazing personality, he was so optimistic and was always looking on the bright side on things. He really shows this with one of his most famous quotes ¨No mistakes, just happy little accidents¨. An amazing talent Bob Ross had was his ability to tame wild animals and interact with them and have them not be scared of him whatsoever. His Weaknesses\Struggles : Bob Ross as you know by now got lymphoma, but i've mentioned that many times already. So a different struggle he went through was when 13 of his paintings were stolen from his van during the shows second season. Funny/sad things : Something very funny that Bob Ross did when he was a kid was when he kept an alligator in his bathtub, but he had it in there so he could try and heal it since it was hurt. Bob Ross did this lots as a kid for he had an extreme love for wildlife, so that's why he would take injured animals and heal them back to health, and set them free. Something that was in a way sad but not much was that he would actually accept any offers for an interview, he just didn't really get any offers. Awards : I couldn't find any real awards but I think he deserves a reward for his care he put upon wildlife.

What surprised\disappointed me : Something that surprised me was that when he was a kid he kept an alligator in his bathtub to save it and then let it go after aiding it back to health. It also surprised me that he didn't originally start ¨The Joy Of Painting¨ he actually took over the show when the original creator William Alexander retired and let Ross take over. Something that disappointed me though was that he used the ¨wet on wet technique¨ which William Alexander created. Now that technique is known as Bob Ross´s way of painting when William Alexander was really the true creator. 3 Things I would ask : The three things i would ask Bob Ross would be :  How did it make you feel when the man that inspired you, William Alexander, offered you too take over his painting show? , what did your family think when you kept animals like an alligator in your house? , the last thing I would ask would be, what did your family think of your new career when you started painting? Would I want be his child or not : I would not want to be Bob Ross´s child. This is because I love my true family very very much and I have an amazing sister who cares about me a lot, as kids we have always been beside each other. My point is I would give the world for my sister so I would hate to lose her and my whole family. Something i learned from him : Something about Bob Ross that I could learn from is definitely his painting, I paint with oil and find his show very helpful (yes I watch Bob Ross sometimes). I´m Happy I chose to learn about him : I am very happy i chose to learn about Bob Ross, i have always admired him and it makes me happy to know more about this amazing artist. It had a large impact on the way I thought of him. I have grown more respect for him.