Children of the Paper Crane: The Story of Sadako Sasaki and Her Struggle with the A-Bomb Disease

By Masamoto Nasu, Kyoko Yoshida (Translator), and Steven L. Leeper (Translator)

Publisher: M. E. Sharpe Inc., August 1991
ISBN: 0873327152
MY HERO recommends this book to readers of all age groups.
Library Journal
When 12-year-old Sasaki was diagnosed with leukemia in February 1955, she was just another hibakusha (nuclear weapon survivor) of Hiroshima, but after her death on October 25, 1955, she became a national symbol of the lingering horror of war. This first biography of Sasaki for adult readers tells the story of an ordinary girl and how her fellow students, teachers, and a few activists transformed her personal tragedy into a national campaign for peace. Nasu tenderly describes Sasaki and her ordeal, relaying technical information in nonscientific language, and also revealing the negative feelings of Sasaki's friends as they saw their impulsive desire to put up a memorial statue co-opted by adults and strangers. The translation of the 1984 Japanese publication is generally well done and readable. This book will appeal to a wide readership, especially those who remember Eleanor Coerr's biography for children, Sadako and the Thousand Paper Cranes (Putnam, 1977). Recommended for public libraries. (Photos not seen.)-- Katharine L. Kan, Aiea P.L., Hawaii
User Reviews:
13 | 12/21/2010 7:58 AM
it was a sad story but she was confident. She kept making paper cranes. But she could not make any more.R.I.P sadako.always remembered never forgotten.
jj | 12/20/2010 8:57 AM
loved it going to  read it again  but it is sad to  read i cryed
going to make paper crane
clarissa | 10/2/2010 6:08 PM
i love the book i could not keep my eyes out of it ps.i know how to make a paper crane
nova | 2/25/2010 8:16 AM
sad.
ana | 5/21/2009 2:38 AM
where do we get this book

Check with your local library.  If you would rather buy the book, it can be purchased from any of the major online bookstores.

-- The MY HERO Library Staff

hello | 9/25/2008 3:51 PM
its sad
AMANDA. | 5/14/2007 9:53 AM
COOL
MAIMOONAH HUSSAIN | 3/29/2006 2:37 AM
THE BOOK WAS SO GOOD I COLUD NOT KEEP MY EYES OFF THE BOOK
ajeet | 3/28/2006 2:36 AM
I like the book

Write your comments
  • Only registered users can write reviews