LESSON PLAN

Claude Monet Teacher Lesson Plan

Claude Monet (Nov 14, 1840 - Dec 5, 1926) was one of the founders of French Impressionist painting. Celebrate his life with your students using these MY HERO multimedia resources. 

Students analyze the following paintings by Monet and answer the discussion questions; then explore the suggested activities. 

The Parc Monceau

By: Claude Monet (French, 1840 - 1926)

Urban park setting favored by many Impressionists including Monet

La Grenouillere

By: Claude Monet (French, 1840 - 1926) and Pierre-August Renoir (French, 1841 -...

La Grenouillere is French for the Frog Pond and was a most favorite spot for boating and family for many Impressionists.

Camille Monet in the Garden at Argenteuil

By: Claude Monet (French, 1840 - 1926)

Monet often painted his wife in a garden setting, and she was his most patient model.

Bridge over a Pond of Water Lilies

By: Claude Monet (French, 1840 -1926)

Creating a Japanese garden at Giverny was the culmination of a lifelong goal for Monet, and this painting is one of many that he made in this location.

The Bodmer Oak, Fontainebleau Forest

By: Claude Monet (French, 1840 - 1926)

Early on in his career, Monet was a follower of the Barbizon School of Outdoor or Plein-Air Painting, and this work shows his origins.

Haystacks (Effect of Snow and Sun)

By: Claude Monet (French, 1840 - 1926)

Haystacks were a subject explored many times by the painter Claude Monet, and he viewed them in all four seasons and at different times of the day.

The Four Trees

By: Claude Monet (French, 1840 - 1926)

Beautiful brushwork and symmetry in nature captured in a painting by Claude Monet.

Discussion Questions and Activities

1. How does Monet use texture, light, and shadow in his paintings?

2. How do the paintings Haystacks and The Four Trees differ from the others by Monet?

3.  Look at each painting. What color is used most in the painting? Which colors seem closer and which seem further away?

4. Choose two or three paintings: What do they have in common and what is different in each? 

5. After analyzing these paintings, how would you describe Impressionist art to someone who is unfamiliar with it?

6. Research other Impressionist artists. Compare their work to Monet's paintings. How are they similar and how are they different

7. Create your own original Impressionist art to submit to the MY HERO Gallery. 

Students read one or all of the following stories about Monet before considering the discussion question and activity. 

Claude Oscar Monet

By: Maria from Commerce City

Claude Oscar Monet

By: Aileen from Selden

Story Written by a Middle School Student

Claude Oscar Monet

By: Alyssa from Glenbrook Middle School

“If we could but paint with the hand what we see with the eye.”

Discussion Question and Activity

Research other Impressionist artists.

Who impressed you and why?

Share his or her story with MY HERO.

Learning Outcomes

Students will develop critical thinking skills as they analyze artwork. Students will identify elements of Impressionist artwork. 

Laura Nietzer

The Claude Monet lesson plan was created by MY HERO Teacher and Learning Circle Director Laura Nietzer.

Claude Monet Gallery Website
C. Monet Gallery Lesson Plans
Credit: Wikicommons

Learn about a New Hero Every Day of the Year: Use the MY HERO Calendar in the Classroom

Students can share their Hero Essays, Films and Art through our Create Program

Outstanding essays submitted to MY HERO will be considered for a certificate/t-shirt prize or be featured on the Story Homepage.

Submit your artwork to be entered in the MY HERO art contest or to be exhibited on our Gallery Homepage.

Students can submit their films for free with a waiver to the MY HERO International Film Festival.

Organizer created on 10/22/2019 9:31:09 AM by Laura Nietzer

Last edited 4/30/2020 2:47:01 PM by Laura Nietzer