Claudette Colvin

by Jadah Robertson from New York City

‘’I knew then and I know now that, when it comes to justice, there is no easy way to get it. You can't just sugarcoat it.” -Claudette Colvin

Claudette Colvin was an Black Activist in Alabama. Claudette refused to give up her seat on a bus months before Rosa Parks, a more famous protester. Claudette was also pregnant at the time. The story that was told was, after school the bus driver told Claudette that she could not sit in a section, so she told the man it's her Constitutional right. Claudette was arrested for many charges, such as disturbing the peace, violating the segregation, and assault. Claudette was bailed out by her minister, who told her that she had brought the revolution to Montgomery. After Claudette's arrest, Claudette had dropped out of college and had to raise her son Raymond Colvin in 1956. Claudette struggled in the environment. After the event happened, Claudette's mother told her to be quiet about what she did and let Rosa be the one to get fame for what she did because white people aren't going to bother Rosa, they like her. People admire Claudette because she was the first Black Activist to refuse to get out of a seat for a white person on a bus. People also preferred Rosa to get more fame because Claudette was a young pregnant woman who would be setting an bad example for people. As a child Claudette wanted to be president, but growing up after the event, Claudette became an nurse and retired in 2004. Claudette Colvin is an hero because she stood up for black people when we didn't have the right.