CONTESTS

Coronavirus Community Heroes

Call for Entries

As the world rallies together during the latest pandemic, the reality and comfort of humanity's goodness shines through. MY HERO is taking essay submissions about heroes helping others during the coronavirus outbreak. The hero can be anyone!

Winners will be announced in the categories elementary, middle, and high school, as well as professional contributors. Each winner will receive a $50 Amazon gift card, a certificate, and a MY HERO t-shirt.

Click the image below to start your story, or head to https://myhero.com/create

Coronavirus Community Heroes Contest
Credit: Public Domain via Pixabay

You can also visit our guestbook for a shorter shout-out.

Books

This is a story developed for and by children around the world. 

My Hero Is You
Credit: IASC MHPSS RG

Newswire Stories

Why tough times can mean better neighbors
Credit: Christian Science Monitor
‘Something human’: Mideast fight against virus elicits rare unity
Credit: Christian Science Monitor
Self-isolation opens a door to national service
Credit: Christian Science Monitor

Daniel Goldberg

By: MY HERO Staff
Daniel Goldberg, a Santa Barbara teen, created "Zoomers to Boomers" a collection of Gen Z shoppers who bring groceries to the Boomer generation during the Coronavirus pandemic.

Friends of MY HERO

Sandi Bachom

By: Shannon Luders-Manuel

Sandi Bachom is a 75-year-old videographer and MY HERO Film Festival winner. She lives in New York City and is covering COVID-19.

The Izabel Lam Foundation has created their first prototype of a face shield to donate to hospitals. They also have a 3D printed version in the works! 

Izabel Lam
Credit: Photo courtesy of Izabel Lam

Entrepreneur Sonia Smith-Kang is using extra material from her boutique children's clothing business to provide masks for first responders in Los Angeles during the Coronavirus outbreak. 

Sonia Smith-Kang
Credit: Mixed Up Clothing

"We’ve begun collaborations with both Cedars Sinai and Keck Medicine of USC to produce reusable N95 style masks, face shields, and aerosol protection boxes for use during intubation."

CRASH Space
Credit: Bill Janczewski

Philanthropist Eva Haller is part of a group in New York City making face shields for hospital workers. To the left, a volunteer picks up 400 face shields for distribution. On the right, three ER doctors model the face shields. 

Eva Haller
Credit: Eva Haller

Other Community Health Heroes

Aileen Cole Stewart: Called to Serve

By: MY HERO Staff

Aileen Cole Stewart made history as one of 18 African American nurses to serve in the Army Nurse Corp during WWI to aid soldiers with the Spanish Flu.

Federica and Baby Malick

By: Cheikh Darou Seck

Frederica Iezza, a heart surgeon who last year flew Baby Malick from Senegal to Italy for a life-saving operation, is now on the front lines in Italy battling against the Coronavirus pandemic. 

Shomy Hasan Chowdhury

By: Dorothy Lie
Shomy Hasan Chowdhury created the WASH (water, sanitation and hygiene) organization, for which she received an Diana Award, to combat deadly diarrhea in underserved communities.

Elaine Alsop

By: Kami Bodine from Billings, Montana

Kami's hero is her mother, a nurse who works with oncology patients.

Dr. Hawa Abdi - The Mother of Hope Village

By: Nicole
Dr. Hawa Abdi, Somalia's first female gynecologist, turned her family's land into a hospital, school and nutrition center, focused on women and children.

Abdul Satter Edhi

By: Hasan Tariq
Abdul Satter Edhi was a Pakistani humanitarian and philanthropist who founded the Edhi Foundation, a social welfare program that crosses religious barriers.

Be Ready
Credit: World Health Organization
Be Kind
Credit: World Health Organization
Donna Ashworth Poem
Credit: Donna Ashworth

Organizer created on 3/19/2020 3:44:23 AM by Shannon Luders-Manuel

Last edited 5/12/2020 1:30:39 AM by Xenia Shin