Dan Allaire

by Maxime Allaire from Long Sault, Ontario in Canada

122096dan allaireDan Allaire

My father Dan Allaire is the type of person that will always try to keep everyone around him smiling even if you are sick, sad or not even there with him. Dan always tries to keep a positive aspect of life even when it's the hardest like when he fell off his bicycle and broke his collarbone, rib and punctured lung. He still sent me pictures of him smiling and giving me a thumbs up with all the tubes and machines attached to him. Even though my dad always tries to be positive all the time he also is very sympathetic for when I am sick or hurt. He always decides to do what I want even if he doesn't like it. For example when I got seven teeth pulled out he sat in the basement with me and played all my favorite video games with me. My Dad is always the goofiest in the house as well he scares people makes stupid comments and makes a smiley face on our eighteen foot tall ceiling with noodles when my mom makes pasta.

Dan is a very perseverant man. He decided to want to be a radio show host when he was a little kid. He told his mom that he wanted to start a talk show on the radio every morning and his mom told him: “You kids always change your minds, you will want to be a firefighter next week” and then he responded with “Watch me”. Thirty years later he is still as happy as ever working on his own talk show every morning, doing what he loves. He loves it even more cause he proved his mom wrong. With his well met goal he also met a lot of friends and co-workers. I find one of his favorites is BILL HALMAN!!!!

My father has told me many stories about college, so I decided to ask him about his favorite moments. Dan told me about all the times he snuck out at curfew on his campus and how he regrets it so much. One day his buddies and he decided why not go out for a beer to celebrate passing their first semester. They went out had some fun and went back to campus. When they arrived back they saw that there were teachers and personnel walking around to see if anyone was still outside of their dorms. My dad decided to sleep in his car but in the trunk with the trunk door open hanging halfway out of the trunk. He ended up getting caught and had to walk to the main office in his underwear with no shirt, he soon realized that people were laughing and he decided to put on a show and started dancing and singing and doing stupid things to entertain everyone, and realized he could make many people laugh by his goofy actions very easily. This made my dad realize he had a natural talent of comedy.

Dan has a great family but not always. Our family has its ups and downs every day, like when we disagree over something at the dinner table or get along and watch a movie altogether which rarely happens. But what surprised me the most is how much he cried when we were little kids. Like when my sister was born, he cried. When I was born, he cried. I know dads cry a lot when they get their first or second child but this was different. He started getting sad over the little things like when I first learnt how to ride a bike without training wheels he got all sad and said “You're all grown up now” and I looked at him like he was crazy. Now that I think back at those moments I realized that my dad wasn't always such a big funny tough guy all the time.

My dad has been a big part of my life. I like it when he tells me the stories about college and how he realized how funny he really was. Also when he cries every time we do something right for the first time. Even if we don't get along all the time I still love him. I hope this helped you realize that your dad can be a lot more than just your caregiver but a friend.