Daniel Radcliffe

by Beatriz from Sao Paulo

169020Daniel Radcliffe at the 2022 New York Comic ConPhilip Romano via Wikimedia CommonsDaniel Radcliffe is a British actor of film, television and theater who became famous playing the title character in the Harry Potter film series, based on the book series by British author J. K. Rowling. He was born in Fulham, UK, on July 23, 1989 and is 24 years old. Some people do not know much about it and end up judging without knowing and it makes me very angry, knowing that he is a person and people say it is another. Then I came to talk a little bit about it and see if I can change some opinions about it.

Why write about Daniel Radcliffe? Daniel Radcliffe is my hero, not only in film but also as a person! Few people know what he does when he is not working and that is what I intend to talk about here! Daniel Radcliffe, plus being a great actor (in my mind) helps the needy, people in orphanages and asylums because he does not see as just an actor, he sees himself as a person like any other. I think it's cool what he does for others, he does not think it's cool to think only of himself. In fact, this is what many of us should do and not do.

He is my hero, especially the films of the Harry Potter saga, but also to make me see that life to others is very different from where I live, and I can help them, not changing their lives but helping them to smile and make them see that the world is beautiful even if they do not have a nice house. He taught me that magic is within each of us, and we can spread this magic to others, helping them as we can!

This helps for example, maybe becoming friends of these people. Daniel visit homes of people who are not visited by their families and becomes friends with these people, he spreads the magic he has within himself to these people! I think if you spoke or speak ill of Daniel Radcliffe, you should begin to think he is not only an actor. More than that, he is also a person like all of us! He also does good to others! If he can do it, why can not we?

The following section was added by The MY HERO Project in 2024:

Daniel Radcliffe continues to perform in several projects a year, on both screen and stage. In 2019, he starred in TBS comedy Miracle Workers, based on Simon Rich’s 2012 novel What in God’s Name. In the same year, he voice-acted in Lino DiSalvo’s Playmobil: The Movie and was the lead role in Jason Lei Howden’s action-comedy Guns Akimbo.[1]

In 2022, along with several of the original cast of the Harry Potter film series, Radcliffe appeared in a TV special on HBO Max called Harry Potter 20th Anniversary: Return to Hogwarts to mark the 20th anniversary since the first film’s release. Later that year, Radcliffe starred as the villain in the action-comedy The Lost City, as well as the titular role in the biographical parody Weird: The Al Yankovic Story. For his portrayal of "Weird Al" Yankovic, Radcliffe was nominated for a Primetime Emmy Award.

As well as screen, Radcliffe took to the stage again in 2022, in the New York Theatre Workshop’s rendition of Stephen Sondheim’s Merrily We Roll Along. The musical opened in December 2022 for a short run before making another critically acclaimed run on Broadway;[2] for this, Radcliffe received his first Tony Award for Best Featured Actor in a Musical.[3]

As well as an actor, Daniel Radcliffe has always been a staunch advocate for the LGBTQ+ community. He has recorded PSA’s for The Trevor Project, an American non-profit aimed to prevent deaths by suicide among LGBTQ+ youth. In 2011, The Trevor Project presented Radcliffe with their annual Hero Award. On being named their 2011 hero, Radcliffe said:

“The people that are doing the heroic things are the people answering phones 24 hours a day in the Trevor call centers. I think that out of everything that I’ve done so far in my career, I think this is absolutely one of the most important, if not the most important, thing that I’m associated with.”[4]

In 2020, following Harry Potter author J.K. Rowling making controversial comments on gender identity, Radcliffe wrote a piece published by The Trevor Project. In it, Radcliffe expressed his unwavering support for the transgender community and his regret that Rowling’s views tarnished her work for so many fans. You can read his words here.

[2] Ibid.