Da’vian Kimbrough, the Youngest Soccer Pro in the US

by Abigail Richardson from MY HERO Staff

At the age of 13 years, 5 months, and 13 days, Da’vian Kimbrough achieved a remarkable milestone by becoming the youngest professional soccer player in the United States. This momentous occasion took place on Tuesday August 8th 2023 as the talented teen inked a contract with the Sacramento Republic, a team competing in the USL Championship league. Da’vian's achievement extends beyond soccer, positioning him as the youngest professional athlete in all of North American team sports.

Da’vian's journey with the Sacramento Republic began in 2021 when he was just 11 years old. Joining their youth academy, he wasted no time in showcasing his exceptional skills on the field. During that year, Da’vian's impressive performance led to a remarkable tally of 27 goals in 31 matches. His contributions were instrumental in propelling the under-13 squad to achieve an outstanding record within their age group nationwide, amassing a remarkable 30 victories with only one loss.

152374 Da’vian Kimbrough Wiki

The significance of Da’vian's abilities extended even further this June when he was bestowed the title of Most Valuable Player at the Bassevelde U13 Cup. This prestigious tournament featured some of the world's finest clubs. As a guest player, Da’vian's exceptional leadership led the New York Red Bulls Academy to victory, making them the first Major League Soccer (MLS) team to secure the tournament's championship.

Now, as a member of the Sacramento Republic, Da’vian's journey continues with the support of a "modified" training schedule. Additionally, he and his family will collaborate closely with the sports medicine staff, ensuring his well-being and development are prioritized.

Mark Briggs, the head coach of the Sacramento Republic, lauded Da’vian's extraordinary qualities. He commended the young athlete's unwavering focus, dedication, and commitment, highlighting his readiness to take on the challenges that lie ahead. Said Briggs, “Over the last two years he has demonstrated his tremendous potential, and our goal is to continue to support and help him grow as a player and person.”