The MY HERO Project | Library

Desert Dawn

By Waris Dirie, Jeanne D'Haem

Publisher: Virago Press, Limited, July 2003
ISBN: 1860499627
MY HERO recommends this book to adult readers.
From the Publisher
“I wanted to return to the place where I was born and see it with new eyes. I had no idea where my family was in Somalia. At first it seemed impossible—almost as impossible as a camel girl becoming a fashion model.” The sequel to Waris Dirie’s international best–seller Desert Flower.

Fashion model, UN ambassador, and courageous spirit, Waris Dirie is a remarkable woman. Born into a family of tribal desert nomads in Somalia, she told her story in the worldwide best–seller Desert Flower, enduring female circumcision at the age of five; running away through the desert at twelve to escape an arranged marriage; being discovered by photographer Terence Donovan as she worked as a cleaner in London; and becoming a top fashion model. Although she fled Somalia, she never forgot the country or the family that shaped her. Desert Dawn is Waris Dirie’s profoundly moving account of her return to her homeland. As an international model, Waris Dirie was the face of Revlon. In 1997, as part of its campaign to eliminate female genital mutilation, the United Nations appointed her Special Ambassador for Women’s Rights in Africa. She now lives in New York with her son.

User Reviews:
Raelian Donna G | 12/9/2010 12:10 PM
Wow, "Desert Flower" is a story of inspiration and survival.  Thank you Waris!
desta obse | 8/15/2010 9:16 PM
oh my goodness!I've no words to say how beautiful your novel Desret Flower is.I read it so many times and realy you write it.
Almaz Seifu | 6/19/2008 9:10 PM
Waris, you are so special for African woman who are facing lots of cultural problems.You are an example to follow.When I read your book(Desert Flower) It really touched my life even it motivated me to write about my life.You might read my book one day.

Well done Waris!!!

Lots of Love

Almaz
Andnet Deresse | 3/16/2008 10:55 PM
Waries it is amazing for me after reading Deseret Flower. U showed the world the strength of the black Africans ,specially the Womens. U r book was highly heart touching and guiding every body to feel what u feel in UR life. As u said in ur book ur familly were shelterd in Ethiopia,Somali region. OOOOO Keep UR strength U will do more than what u achievesd now in ur life.
LOVE U Very Much
Ashlee | 10/31/2007 11:29 PM
Hi Jackie from Sydney. Sorry to disappoint you but that pic of "Waris Dirie" on the red carpet in the pink dress is infact Iman, wife of David Bowie. Ciao

Thank you for bringing this error to our attention.  The picture has been removed from Jackie's MY HERO story.

-- The MY HERO Library Staff

Sarah | 7/28/2007 8:59 AM
I found desert flower heart breaking in its inoocence and admirable in its boldness.Waris Dirie is an inspiration to anyone her courageous spirit and heart to help the world put a stop against what happened to her, I don't think there is or will be anyone as great as Waris to overcome such a thing is amazing yet to speak out and help is absolutely compelling she is a very passionate women.
Charlene O | 7/2/2007 1:22 AM
To Waris.

Oh my gosh i love ur book Desert Flower. Its amazing, inspiring but also very heart felt.. u are a strong Black woman, with courage, positive attitude, and fierceness
!! I RESPECT U TOTALLY!!! I believe in breaking the Cycle of a disturbing or unpleasent past, and u certainly done that!
Keep up the faith and Good Work!! I LOVE U# NUMBER 1 UK FAN- FROM NORTH LONDON

Write your comments
  • Only registered users can write reviews