Desmond Doss

by Josabeth Martínez

My hero is Desmond Doss, a man whom I admire a lot because during the II World War, he was the only soldier that never used a fire weapon, nor killed anyone, and his reason was his beliefs. He was a Christian of the Seventh-Day Adventist Church and a conscientious objector. That means by his beliefs, he was not able to serve in the military, and by that he was also against of killing anybody, even the enemy. He decided to join the military anyway, but with the promise that he would never kill anybody, or use a weapon to hurt. He became a medic, so that way he would help instead of hurting someone else. During the war and the intense shooting between the soldiers of both sides, he assisted anyone in need, those who got shot and injured during the fight.

As I said before, he was a Christian, so every time he saved somebody, he prayed and asked to God to let him save just another one. He always found a way to get back the injured soldiers to the edge of the hill, where the fight was happening, getting them down to a safe place with the other soldiers, just to go back to the battlefield to look for other soldiers who needed help, and that's how he gained the respect of his comrades, by helping others without killing, even if he died in the process. So he was taken more seriously and was a great asset in the military. Even when nobody believed in him and his beliefs, he was able to be the hero that they needed, and after the war ended he was recognized by getting the Medal of Honor by the president himself for his actions in the Battle of Okinawa, being the only conscientious objector to receive such a recognition, saving a total of 75 men. He also got other two Bronze Star medals by his actions in Guam and the Philippines, also by helping the injured.

He got some injures and fractures, risking his own life by exposing himself to the gunshots that could have ended his life, but no matter what, that didn't stopped him from helping the others, and that's why Desmond Doss is my hero.