Tim Duncan

by Corey from Pleasant Hill

Stuffed like a Thanksgiving turkey! (si.com)

My hero is Tim Duncan of the San Antonio Spurs. Not only is he a great player, he is also one of the only players in the National Basketball Association nowadays who valued education enough to stay in college for four years and get his degree instead of jumping right to the pros. He is also a great role model. After his sophomore year, he probably would have been the first pick in the NBA draft, but he stayed in school. After he had finished that year, he already held his college team's blocked shots record. It usually takes four years to get a college school record like that! He also gives back to the community of San Antonio.

Duncan stuffs it home. (espn.go.com)
Duncan stuffs it home. (espn.go.com)

One of the reasons I like Tim Duncan is because he is a great role model. In the day and age of young kids skipping college to jump to the NBA, Duncan finished his degree at Wake Forest and then waited for the lucrative contracts of the pros. If he would have jumped to the NBA after his sophomore year, he would have made millions of dollars. Instead, he risked injury to himself in college ball and stayed in school to finish his education and to sharpen his game. Also, when many pro athletes are out committing felonies, or starting fights in games (can anyone say Ron Artest? ), Tim Duncan's record is squeaky clean. When I was deciding what number I wanted to be this year in basketball, I chose 21 because it is Tim's number.

Tim Duncan with his second straight MVP award (nba.com)

Not only is he a great role model, he is also a great basketball player. Most players just want to dunk or shoot the three-pointer, but Duncan keeps to his fundamentals. He has a sweet turnaround bank shot from eight to fifteen feet, and unlike other big men, he can shoot the jumper. Duncan has been recognized for his outstanding accomplishments, too. He was named NBA regular season Most Valuable Player in the 2001-2002 and 2002-2003 seasons and Finals MVP in the 1999 and 2003 seasons. He was also named the 28th best player in college basketball history in Street and Smith's 100 Greatest College Basketball Players.

Duncan at a Bowling for Dollar$ (slamduncan.com)

Tim also supports many good causes. He founded the Tim Duncan Foundation to support education, youth sports and health research. His Bowling for Dollar$ bowling event raised over $135,000 for breast and prostate cancer treatment and care. He also helps out in many recreational basketball leagues in San Antonio. Duncan is a very caring person who gives a lot back to the community.

In conclusion, Tim Duncan is my hero because he is a great role model, an awesome player and a caring person. He is someone everyone can look up to. He is someone who values education and other human beings. Tim Duncan is my hero.

NBA Web site - Tim's biography along with all the news about the NBA
The Tim Duncan Foundation
Slamduncan.com - Tim Duncan's Web site

Thanks for visiting my hero page on Tim Duncan of the San Antonio Spurs. He is a rarity in the NBA, a strong player who also went to college at Wake Forest for all of his four years of eligibility and got his degree. I hope you enjoy my page!