Thomas Edison

by Tommy from Omaha

"Genius is one percent inspiration and ninety-nine percent perspiration"

Thomas Edison was born in Milan, Ohio in 1847. He had a hearing problem when he was born. He was not the best student in the world so he was often teased with names like retarded and stupid. So, he ran away from school and was homeschooled. At home, his mother taught him. He still did not do well so he eventually taught himself to learn. He then moved to New Jersey when he was old enough. There he made many experiments like the tape recorder, the movie projector, and the light bulb.

I believe he is a hero because even though he had many difficulties growing up, he persevered and tried his hardest to perfect them. He also never gave up when he failed. He tried thousands of ways to get the light bulb to work. He turned his disabilities into his abilities. His stubbornness made him never give up. He was very modest and didn’t let anyone copy him.

He has affected me in many ways. He has shown me what comes from perseverance and hard work. He gave light to the world and made me appreciate the little things in life. He taught me that even though I may have disadvantages, I can turn them into advantages. Thank you, Thomas, for everything. “Genius is one percent inspiration and ninety-nine percent perspiration.”-Thomas Edison