Language Arts Activities for Elementary Students

MY HERO Free Curated Online Resources for Elementary Students and Homeschoolers

April is Poetry Month:

Students are encouraged to submit original poems to the MY HERO Mattie J. T. Stepanek Poetry Contest

Mattie J.T. Stepanek Poetry Contest

By: Xenia Shin

Submit your work for the Mattie J.T. Stepanek Poetry Contest. All Ages Deadline: 5/1

Students are encouraged to submit original poems to the MY HERO Mattie Stepanek Poetry Contest.

National Poetry Month Lesson Plan

By: Xenia Shin

Students make films illustrating poems or a spoken word performance. With examples.

Writing Activity after Reading a Biography or Autobiography

Students choose a biography or autobiography about someone they consider a hero. Students fill out a web that includes adjectives describing hero characteristics the subject of the book portrays. Students use this web as they write a story about their hero. The following two stories use a web and original illustrations. 

Harriet Tubman

By: Brielle Simon

Terry Fox

By: Emma from Calgary

Elementary School Resources: Write a Story About Your Hero

Students can write a hero essay answering the questions: who, what, when where, why... and how?

Using the Five Ws to Write a Hero Essay
Credit: Photo by Jonny Mansfield on Unsplash

What is a Hero? the MY HERO Teacher Training video

Produced by:MY HERO
Teacher Marci Stein from Canada explores the question "What is a HERO?" with her grade 4 students.

Students submit stories and illustrations to MY HERO for Publication

Early Elementary - have students draw a picture of their hero and then write one or two sentences about the individual and why that person is their hero (working on proper sentence structure and punctuation).

Upper Elementary - have students choose a hero and write 1-3 paragraphs about the individual and why that person is their hero (working on proper paragraph structure with proper punctuation).

Sample Elementary School Essays: Encourage Students to Use Their Own Artwork to Submit with Stories

Mae Jemison

By: Chase, Robert, Logan and Kyleigh from Reeds Spring

Mae Jemison was the first African American woman to travel in space.

Sally Ride

By: Georgia Rowan

Sally Ride was the first woman to travel in space.

My Dad Jinji

By: Edward

Edward's dad Jinji emigrated from Singapore to America, earned a college degree, and started his own business.

Mattie Stepanek

By: Leah

Mattie Stepanek, born with muscular dystrophy, published seven best-selling books before passing away at age 13.

Outstanding essays submitted to MY HERO will be considered for a certificate/t-shirt prize or be featured on the Story Homepage.

How to Use the Create Program

Using the Create Program to Publish Written Stories

By: Laura Nietzer
Tutorial for Students

Learn about a New Hero Every Day of the Year: Use the MY HERO Calendar in the Classroom

More Contests

Song Contest 2020

Learn about the MY HERO Song Contest and past winners!

Digital Mural Contest

By: Giselle Villatoro
The United Nations Sustainability digital mural contest in partnership with The Art Miles Project and The UNA San Diego Association.

Organizer created on 3/16/2020 4:11:04 PM by Laura Nietzer

Last edited 3/18/2020 1:15:34 PM by Laura Nietzer