Poets

Elise Paschen: Celebrating a Life in Poetry and Heritage

by Abigail Richardson from MY HERO Staff

Elise Paschen is a distinguished American poet and a proud member of the Osage Nation. Her work is deeply informed by her rich cultural heritage and her experiences in the literary world, where she has made significant contributions both as a poet and as an advocate for the arts. As the co-founder and co-editor of the popular "Poetry in Motion" program, a nationwide program that places poetry posters in subway cars and buses.

Born into a family of remarkable talent, Paschen is the daughter of the legendary prima ballerina Maria Tallchief and Chicago contractor Henry D. Paschen. Her mother, Maria Tallchief, was the first Native American to hold the title of prima ballerina, while her father contributed to the building industry in Chicago. Growing up in Chicago, Paschen attended the Francis W. Parker School, where her love of literature began. Her Osage heritage remains an essential part of her identity, shaping the themes of her work and influencing her connection to both art and history.

Paschen attended Harvard University, where she received the esteemed Lloyd McKim Garrison Medal for poetry and served as Poetry Editor for the Harvard Advocate, one of the oldest literary magazines in the country. Following her undergraduate studies, Paschen pursued graduate work at Oxford University, earning both M.Phil. and D.Phil. degrees in 20th Century British and American Literature. During her time at Oxford, she helped to resuscitate “Oxford Poetry” which is over a hundred years old.  

From 1988 to 2001, Paschen served as the Executive Director of the Poetry Society of America. In this role, she not only promoted poetry but also nurtured the careers of many emerging poets. Paschen has edited several anthologies, including the New York Times bestseller Poetry Speaks.

169659Elise PaschenElise Paschen

Her own collections of poetry have earned her widespread acclaim. Her books include The Nightlife, Bestiary, Infidelities—which won the Nicholas Roerich Poetry Prize—and Houses: Coasts. Her poems have been featured in numerous prominent magazines and anthologies, such as The New Yorker, Poetry, and The Best American Poetry 2018. Her most recent book, Tallchief, released in October 2023, is a tribute to her mother, celebrating her legacy and contributions to both dance and Native American culture.

One of Paschen's poems, "Wi’-gi-e," holds a unique place in contemporary literature. This poem inspired the title of David Grann's non-fiction book Killers of the Flower Moon (2017), a chilling account of the Osage murders in the early 20th century. The poem, included in the book, became even more widely known when Killers of the Flower Moon was adapted into a 2023 film directed by Martin Scorsese.

In addition to her writing, Paschen teaches in the MFA Writing Program at the School of the Art Institute of Chicago, where she inspires students to explore the power of language and story.

Living in Chicago with her husband, Stuart Brainerd, and their two children, Paschen is powerful force in the literary world Her ability to weave together personal history, Native American identity, and universal themes has made her a vital voice in American poetry.

To find out more go to Elise's website: https://elisepaschen.com/

Read here, Eurydice, a poem written by Elise about her mother, Maria Tallchief.