Esme Tran (Early Reader Edition)

by Naomi Gledhill from Telford in United Kingdom

151296Esme TranCatherine Lee, with permission Esme Tran is only 8 years old, but she is already an amazing artist and piano player. She has been learning piano with Professor Ana Maria Eckstein since she was 4 years old. She has already won lots of competitions and has been asked to play in places all over the world, like the Royal Albert Hall in London (United Kingdom), Carnegie Hall in America and Beethoven’s House in Germany.

Lots of the music competitions that Esme has won give out Amazon gift cards as prizes. She has been saving them to buy things for when she grows up and goes to college. However, she saw a sign asking for donations for children in Ukraine because of the war and knew that she wanted to give all her prizes to them. Even though it wasn’t much, she hoped that she would be able to buy the children some “warm and fuzzy socks,” to help them in the cold. She is now putting on a concert on YouTube with her family to help raise even more money!

In 2022, Esme won the MY HERO Robert Shetterly Portrait Contest with a painting she did of her and her brother, Hugo. Esme has liked art since she was very young and was excited about the MY HERO competition.

Esme’s mother, Catherine Lee, told MY HERO that, “Esme and Hugo have always been very close, and care and love each other dearly.” Hugo has been feeling poorly for some time and has had to have lots of tests and medicine to help him. Even when he is sick, he makes sure that Esme is happy. He gives her lots of hugs and kisses to make her smile.

Esme’s painting was based on a picture of her and Hugo. It took her months to do! She added the bandages he used to wear on his head as well as beautiful, colorful flowers to the background.

151297Esme and Hugo Tran Catherine Lee, with permissionEsme and Hugo have such big hearts and it’s clear to see why they are each other’s heroes. On winning the Portrait Contest at MY HERO, Catherine explained that Esme, “couldn’t believe she won the prize, [and is] so grateful to both The MY HERO Project and her art teacher, Ms. Choi,” adding that, “she would love to submit more artwork to MY HERO!”

151298My Brother by Esme Tran Esme Tran for The MY HERO ProjectCall for entries:

Professional artists and students- you are welcome to submit one or more hero portraits as an entry or multiple entries!

Works of art submitted will be judged by Robert Shetterly, artist founder of Americans Who Tell the Truth and the MY HERO Gallery staff!

Each work of art can represent someone you admire who has done something significant - for you, for your community or for our planet.

Each of work of art can illustrate a heroic act that has impacted your world or our society as a whole.

All winning entries will also be shared with students around the world online on www.myhero.com/Art www.AmericansWhoTelltheTruth.org

Click here to start submitting!