LESSON RESOURCE

EXAMPLES: BRINGING MY HERO INTO THE CLASSROOM

The MY HERO Project has been used in classrooms around the world since 1995.  Here are some timeless examples:

OUR HEROES OURSELVES

This unit, written by teacher Billie-Jo Grant, is an All School project, and though it's intended for elementary students, many parts are applicable to middle and high school students as well.

"As they identified and researched heroes from the nation and world at large, as well aslocal and regional heroes, students learned to recognize and appreciate “unsung” heroismin themselves, at home, at school, and in their community. The unit is centered on cross-age groupings, and includes online and real time research, as well as variouspresentations, including those of outside visitors."

Our Heroes Ourselves

An Approach to Using MY HERO in the 7th-10th Classroom

"By using the MY HERO Website, students bring their study of ancient and/or classic heroes into their own worlds. Students begin with a study of the hero, such as King Arthur (or any suitable hero from the literature you teach), and work to apply and expand the hero traits he exemplifies into their own world. Ultimately, the students discover their own hero qualities and new modern heroes to have in their lives."

Organizer created on 7/1/2020 5:57:57 PM by Jerrilyn Jacobs

Last edited 12/22/2020 10:55:00 AM by Laura Nietzer