Florence Nightingale

by Alba from Pristina, Kosovo

119654Florence Nightingalehttps://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Florence_Nightingale [Public domain]

I think a hero is a person who is kind, brave, and honest. First, you have to be brave because if you do something scary, you have to be brave. For instance, Florence Nightingale was brave because when people told her not to be a nurse, she did not listen. Another example is Rosa Parks who had to be brave to stand up to the police and go to jail. You have to be honest because if you tell a lie, the next time you tell the truth, people won’t believe you. You also have to be honest because if you have to say something important people won’t believe you. A hero also has to be kind because if the world was in danger, they would have to be kind and save the world. I think the most important one is kindness because you will help the environment.

Florence Nightingale was the first woman nurse. At this time all the men thought women couldn’t be nurses. She also helped hospitals become cleaner because men died because it wasn’t clean. She also established the first nursing school. This was important because then you tell the students about helping people and teach them how to take care of them.

Florence Nightingale was born in Florence, Italy on May 12, 1820. Florence was a British nurse, statistician, and she was the founder of modern nursing. Her family did not want her to be a nurse, but in 1853 she became the superintendent of the care of sick gentlewomen in London. She made medical care better for soldiers wounded in war. She was given 50,000 pounds in 1860 and made the Nightingale Home and Training School for Nurses. The Nightingale Home and Training School for Nurses was important because you have to keep hospitals clean. Florence died on August 13, 1910 in London.

I think the most important event is that Florence was the first British nurse. If she hadn't become the first woman nurse, women would never have become nurses. Her biggest challenge was that her mom and dad did not want her to become a nurse. She kept trying even though they didn’t want her to be a nurse. 

I think Florence is a hero because she is kind, brave, and smart. She was kind because she helped the men in the hospital. She was brave because she didn’t listen to her parents. I think she is smart because she knew how to help the hurt men. That's why Florence is a hero.