Terrance Stanley Fox

by Alexandra from Cedar Grove, New Jersey

A hero is someone that does something that encourages others to do the same. If your hero cares for others, you would want to do that too! A hero is extraordinary and possesses qualities. Some qualities that might describe a hero are kind, funny, hardworking, and dedicated.

Terrance Stanley Fox was born in Winnipeg Manitoba, Canada in 1958 and died in 1981. Terry was known as a humanitarian, athlete, and cancer treatment activist. Terry’s goal was to be a physical education teacher. After graduating high school, he applied to Vancouver’s Simon Fraser University. Later in his life, he was diagnosed with bone cancer and became very active in raising money for cancer research.

Terry had bone cancer for one year until his death in 1981. For that one year, he ran a “Marathon of Hope” which was a cross-country run to raise money for cancer research. Terry was proud when he heard that he raised $24.17 million, and that money was sent straight to cancer research. Terry once said, “Even if I didn’t finish, we need others to continue. It’s got to keep going without me. Today, the “Marathon of Hope” has spread to 48 nations and is now the most popular way to raise money for cancer research. It has raised hundreds of millions of dollars by holding sponsored runs every September.

A hero possesses qualities. Dedicated, caring, kind, and confident are just a few Terry Fox had. He was dedicated to what he was doing, even when he had bone cancer. Terry was caring and kind because he ran a “Marathon of Hope” for others who had cancer. He was confident because he knew that he could finish the run, even when he didn’t. Terry possessed all of these qualities and that’s exactly why he’s my hero!

In conclusion, heroes are people that inspire others to achieve something special. They are extraordinary and are a role model to numerous people. Terry is a hero to many in Canada. It is really amazing that he would run a “Marathon of Hope” for others. He is caring and loving and that’s exactly why I want to be like him when I’m older.