Lane Frost

by Paola from El Cajon, California

Lane Frost
Lane Frost

OK boys...Hold on!!! Last those eight seconds Lane! Lane Frost was a cowboy from Lane oaklahoma. He was 10 years old when he started bull riding and had made his dream come true, every cowboys dream. His dream was to win the World Championship in bull riding. Lane always loved helping people and he never felt better than anyone else. To him everyone was equal.

Lane at a rodeo
Lane at a rodeo

Lane frost was born on October 12,1963. He grew up in a small ranch with his mom and his dad in Lane oaklahoma. Since he was a little boy he had been into rodeos. At age 19 he received the PRCA membership. PRCA stands for Professional Rodeo Cowboys Association. Lane qualified every year for the finals. Lane got married to Kellie Kyle in 1985. Lane always loved helping kids or anyone who wanted to become a bull rider so he decided to be a bull riding teacher. He also did the best he could to help kids who wanted to participate in rodeos.

Lane bull riding
Lane bull riding

Lane Frost did many great things for himself and many other people. He also made a bigger ranch for his dad and better, too. One other great accomplishment he did was, he was the only one to ride the famous bull Red Rock for the whole 8 seconds in 1987. Lane would give it his best no matter if it was for his family, friends or work. He always made sure he had time for everyone. He was famous for saying, "Sure I got time." After every rodeo he would be the last one to leave because he liked to make sure everybody who wanted to meet him did. Lane was a good person in many ways but what I most admire about him was that he didn't drink, chew or smoke or do drugs. He was comitted to his career of bull riding no matter if he was sick, too tired or if he could be with his family. On July 30, 1998, Lane went to his last rodeo. It took place in Cheyenne,Wyoming. It was the last rodeo of Cheyenne Frontier Days Rodeo. In chute #7 he was up on that bull ready and determined to win. The bull's name was Takin' Care Of Business. He had lots of dreams and plans to accomplish. He also had his wife and parents waiting for him back home. Lane lasted those 8 seconds and won first place but before he even could stand up after he jumped off the bull, the bull came charging after him and in less than 15 seconds Lane Frost was gone from this world forever.

Kelly at cemetery where Lane's at
Kelly at cemetery where Lane's at

Lane Frost is my hero because he never stopped trying. I still know he hasn't stopped trying, he's in every bull rider's heart and in every cowboy's memory doing the best he can. I hope that if I ever get to be in the same spot as Lane Frost that I will be as tough and proud of what I'm doing. He made everything look so easy and he was just so full of life and that's what makes me want to be more like him every day. He never gave up on himself or on anyone else. "Lane we don't miss you any less. It doesn't hurt any less." Like Lane, there's not another.

Lane bull riding
Lane bull riding