LESSON PLAN

Global Youth Service Day Lesson Plan

Curated Multimedia Teacher Resources. Global Youth Service Day celebrates and mobilizes youth serving their communities. 

Global youth service day

Environmental activist Slater Jewel-Kemker began her journey as a MY HERO Youth Reporter. She has dedicated over a decade documenting the work of brave youth from around the world for her feature documentary, "Youth Unstoppable."

To learn more about Slater's early work with MY HERO: Films About and By Young Filmmaker Slater Jewell Kemker

Slater Unstoppable

Produced by:MY HERO

Slater's commitment to the global youth climate movement is truly inspiring. Slater Jewell Kemker is a Director, Activist and change maker. 

10-year-old Jaysa rallies the community with her speeches about how the power plant causes asthma and “so much suffering.” When they succeed in shutting down the plant, Jaysa concludes that “words have power.” Her persistence is an example of the power of one's voice and a refusal to be a bystander. 

Enrich student learning using the Young Voices for the Planet Lesson Plans Organized by Grade Level to further explore social justice issues and the power of standing up for what you believe in.

Words Have Power

Produced by:Lynne Cherry
10-year-old Jaysa rallies the community with her speeches about how the power plant causes asthma and “so much suffering.” When they succeed in shutting down the plant, Jaysa concludes that “words have power.”

Inspire your students with this short music video, Unsung Hero Song, featuring youth. 

This song was written and performed by Kitty Richardson.

Unsung Hero Song

Produced by:Kitty Richardson, George Abalone, Edited by Katie Graubart, Animatio...

Short Film Program: Students watch the following films and consider the questions. 

The following films are about youth activists who identified a problem, then worked on creating a solution by becoming a leader in their community.

Wear a Mask Hamilton Parody #STOPTHESPREAD

Angelina Pendleton-Mendez & Leila Woodward
A reminder to wear a mask and help stop the spread of COVID-19.

Alex Epstein: The Power of Volunteering

Producer: The Institute for Advancing Unity/The Working Group

A young man becomes an activist when his fellow citizens suffer from a national disaster. 

A Voice in Copenhagen

Produced by:SLATER Jewell-Kemker
Slater passionately protests the absence of a voice for youth representation at the Copenhagen Climate Summit.

Olivia's Birds and the Oil Spill

Producer: Lynne Cherry
Young Olivia loves birds, and creates over 500 paintings of her feathered friends to raise funds for Audubon's bird rescue.

Students read one or all of the following stories about Youth Activists. 

The following stories are about youth activists who are making a difference in their community and the world.

Greta Thunberg

By: MY HERO Staff
On the first day, Greta Thunberg, a climate activist with Asperger's, protested outside of Swedish Parliament alone. Now, she's leading 1.5 million students globally.

William Kamkwamba

By: Dorothy Lie

William Kamkwamba is a Malawian engineer, TED speaker, and memoirist who, at 14, built his first windmill from junkyard scraps to help his struggling family farm.

Trash Heroes

By: Elias Amador
Trash Heroes is an international, volunteer-led organization that mobilizes youth in over 12 countries to clean and prevent plastic waste in their communities.

Daniel Goldberg

By: MY HERO Staff
Daniel Goldberg, a Santa Barbara teen, created "Zoomers to Boomers" a collection of Gen Z shoppers who bring groceries to the Boomer generation during the Coronavirus pandemic.

The Following Story has Audio and Text Allowing Students to Listen as They Read Along

Ryan Hreljac

By: Wendy Jewell

Ryan Hreljac helps build wells for clean water in Africa. 

Discussion Questions

1. How are these activists examples of how one person can make a difference regardless of his or her age?

2. What common character traits did you notice about these people?

3. Which issues did you make a personal connection with and why?

4. What are important issues related to climate change facing your community or the world that you would like to address? What can you do? Create an action plan and share your story with MY HERO.

Outcome

Students will have a better understanding of how one person can make a difference and identify causes that they feel are important. Students will have an opportunity to create an action plan as to how they can work on an issue important to them.

Art

March for Our Lives Posters

By: Adobe Project 1324 and The Amplifier Foundation

March for Our Lives Posters commissioned by Adobe 1324 and the Amplifier Foundation

Tyra Hemans

By: Mariam Tehari, Boys & Girls Club Laguna Beach
Tyra Hemans, advocate for The March For Our Lives

Cameron Kasky

By: Logan Hirte
A voice from March for Our Lives inspires Logan

Students can share their Hero Essays, Films and Art through our Create Program

How to use MY HERO's Create Program to Publish Stories, Art, Film and Audio for Students

Tutorial for students: Publish written stories, film, original artwork and audio in MY HERO's multimedia library.

Create Program

Outstanding essays submitted to MY HERO will be considered for a certificate/t-shirt prize or be featured on the Story Homepage.

Submit your artwork to be entered in the MY HERO art contest or to be exhibited on our Gallery Homepage.

Students can submit their films for free with a waiver to the MY HERO International Film Festival.

Laura Nietzer

The Global Youth Service Day lesson plan was created by MY HERO Education Outreach Director Laura Nietzer and features youth heroes.

Links

Use the MY HERO Calendar in the Classroom | Discover a New Hero 365 Days a Year

Organizer created on 3/14/2019 1:48:52 PM by Laura Nietzer

Last edited 4/14/2021 12:52:13 PM by Laura Nietzer