Brian Baker

by Mike from Newark, California

I remember when I first started listening to punk rock. One of the first punk bands I was introduced to was Bad Religion. When I first listened to them, I loved everything about them. I loved the fast drums, the amazing lyrics, but most of all the amazing guitar playing. I idolized their lead guitarist, Brian Baker. In my eyes he was a punk guitar genius.

(thebrpage.net)
(thebrpage.net)

Brian Baker is an American punk rock musician. He was born February 25, 1965 in Washington DC. Brian Baker was one of the founding members of DC hardcore band "Minor Threat". He started as their bass player but would later play guitar when they added a fifth member to play bass. The band split in the mid 80s.

After the split of "Minor Threat," Brian Baker formed Dag Nasty in 1985. Dag Nasty's less aggressive, melodic hardcore was influential to emocore, as well as post-hardcore. Starting as a bass player for a short time in Minor Threat, Brian was able to focus completely on guitar. Brian eventually left the band, later joining his current band.

After Dag Nasty, Brian Baker was asked to join Bad Religion after the departure of Brett Gurewitz. Brian was very pleased to join them. Bad Religion fans enjoyed his guitar playing right from his first show. Brian has recorded eight albums with Bad Religion. Brian Baker has stated that he will stay in Bad Religion no matter how much money he was offered.

(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Brianbaker2007.jpg)

Bad Religion has been one of the most influential punk bands to date. Brian Baker has been an influential punk guitarist also. Brian has been one of my biggest influences to play punk guitar. Everyday I practice, trying to be better. One day I will be just as good at guitar as him.