My Dog, George

by Kyle from Montreal

My dog George (This is George's work ID badge.)

To me, a hero is not necessarily a legend or someone noted for his or her feats of courage or nobility. It is someone who is known for his or her achievements, no matter how big or small those acts may be. A hero does not even have to be a person. It can also be an animal. Not everyone has to know about those achievements to make that person or animal your hero. Achievements do not have to be important to the world, but they do have to be important to you. That is why my dog is my hero.

My dog’s name is George and he lives with my family and me. George is a Goldendoodle, who is only one and a half years old. Every Monday, he goes to work at Maimonides Geriatric Centre. George works in the pet therapy department. His job is to make the residents happy. Even though they are elderly and sometimes sick, they love it when my dog comes to visit them. No matter the age, George puts a smile on everyone's face.

My dog is important to me because he is my friend and I love him. He makes a difference not only to me, but also to the people he goes and visits. George loves it when people come and play with him. George is special to me because he makes me happy whenever I see him. George has inspired me to be less jealous. Whenever I used to walk George, and someone would ask to play with him, I used to be jealous and not let that person pet him. Now since he does the pet therapy and makes people happy, I want to make people happy and I let them play with him.

Maimonides Geriatric Center - Maimonides Geriatric Center is a long-term care institution for the elderly.
Animal Behavior Institute - Animal Assisted Activities, Therapy & Education
Goldendoodles - Golden Retriever-Poodle hybrids