Jim Carrey

by Michael from Newark, California

Jim Carrey (www.nndb.com/people/757/000022691/jim1-80.jpg)

Some people think that Jim Carrey is an odd person to be your hero, but that's because they haven't really looked into his past. He was born the youngest of four children to Percy and Kathleen Carrey. During his years in Junior High, he got a few precious minutes at the end of class to perform stand up. Sadly, his family had to move from their home in Newmarket to Scarborough. They all had to take janitorial and security jobs in the Titan Wheel Factory. After school, Jim had to work eight hour shifts, and his grades and morale suffered. After they moved back to Toronto, he eventually made his professional stand-up debut at Yuk Yuk's, a local club.

Jim Carrey from Bruce Almighty (blogs.coventrytelegraph.net/.../jim%20ca.jpg)

At the age of 16 he dropped out of high school and started to work on his celebrity impressions. In 1969 he moved to Los Angles, where he got a regular gig at The Comedy Store. He impressed the veteran actor Rodney Dangerfield so much that he was signed for a whole season as the opening act. During this time period he met and married waitress Melissa Womer, with whom he had a daughter named Jane Carrey. When the couple went through a very messy divorce, he later married actress Lauren Holly for a short time. He later landed a part in the short lived sitcom The Duck Factory in 1984. This gave him experience, and then scored the male lead in the movie Once Bitten, and a supporting role in Peggy Sue Got Married.

He then made a modest splash in the movie Earth Girls Are Easy, and impressed fellow extraterrestrial Damon Wayans who got him part in the comedy show In Living Color,. In 1994 he starred in Ace Ventura Pet Detective, The Mask, and Dumb and Dumber. In 1995 he starred as The Riddler in the movie Batman Forever, and starred in the sequel Ace Ventura Nature Calls. In 1996 he starred in The Cable Guy, which didn't turn out as well as he hoped. But in 1997 he bounced back with Liar Liar. In 1998, he starred in Peter Weir's The Truman Show, for which he won a Golden Globe for his performance. Then in 1999 he starred as eccentric funnyman Andy Kaufman in Man on the Moon.

In the year 2000 he starred in Me, Myself, and Irene, in which he met Renee Zellweger, who he had a short relationship with. He also starred as the Grinch in Ron Howard's How the Grinch Stole Christmas. Recently he starred in A Christmas Carol as the main character Ebenezer Scrooge. Jim Carrey inspires me to do the best that I can, and to follow my dreams. He followed his, so I feel that I must too.

Some random trivia on Jim Carrey, he dropped out of high school when he was 16, wore his tap shoes to bed when he was a kid in case his parents needed some cheering up, became a U.S. citizen in year 2004, has won two Golden Globe awards, is a vegetarian, and is a fan of the show Monty Python's Flying Circus.