Mia M. Hamm

by Julie from Hobart, Indiana

Mariel Margaret Hamm, or Mia Hamm, is my hero. She is a professional women’s soccer player and is the most recognized female player in the world. Mia was born on March 17, 1972. She was born in Selma, Alabama. Because of her father’s job, they moved a lot. She grew up in Austin, Texas.

When Mia was five, her family adopted Garret, an eight year old Thai-American. Whatever Garret did, Mia wanted to do too. When Garret was older, he had a blood disorder, and survived because of a bone marrow transplant. In 1999 she started the Mia Hamm Foundation to benefit bone marrow research.

She attended the University of North Carolina and graduated in 1994 with a degree in political science. While playing for the Tar Heels, she led them to four NCAA Championships and was also a three-time All American. During her junior year in college, she had to make a tough decision. She had to decide if she was going to leave college and play in the first women’s world championship. She decided to leave college for a year and then come back. Mia came back older and wiser and was a great leader for the team. Mia Hamm’s number was retired after she graduated.

She has won many prestigious awards such as Women’s Sports Foundation Athlete of the Year in 1997. She also won the ESPY award for Outstanding Female Athlete in 1998. Mia is a three-time winner of the NSCAA All-American Award. In 1999 Mia broke the all-time international scoring record for men and women. She won the Chevy Female Athlete of the Year from 1994-1998. At the age of 15, she became the youngest ever Team USA Member. Mia’s other hobbies include golf and basketball. Mia Hamm is currently playing on the Washington Freedom soccer team.

Mia Hamm showed determination and persistence throughout her life in reaching her goal of being a great soccer player. Mia attended college, and that is becoming less common in today’s young athletes. Mia is a great role model for young, aspiring soccer players. Her accomplishments in soccer have inspired me to strive to better my skills as a soccer player.