Goldie Hawn and MindUP

by Abigail Richardson from MY HERO Staff

These are our children, they are our future. It’s time to advocate for preventative mental health programs in every school.

The MY HERO Project is thrilled to announce that Goldie Hawn, along with filmmaker Tiffany Shlain, will be honored with the 2024 Media Award at The 20th Annual MY HERO International Film Festival for her role as Executive Producer of the documentary "The Teen Brain" and her work developing mental health learning programs to support children and teens through her nonprofit organization, Mindup.org.

The MY HERO International Film Festival will be held on November 16th at the Ann and Jerry Moss Theater at New Roads School in Santa Monica, California. The MY HERO Media Award recognizes individuals and organizations who use media to drive positive change in the world.  "The Teen Brain" is an outstanding short film that should be viewed by teens and their parents. It examines the science of the teen brain and provides insights to help them stay balanced while navigating the powerful adolescent years.

Goldie Hawn, renowned for her Academy Award-winning performances, is also a producer, director, best-selling author, and a passionate advocate for children. She first gained widespread recognition on the NBC sketch comedy show Rowan & Martin's Laugh-In and won both an Academy Award and a Golden Globe Award for Best Supporting Actress for her role in Cactus Flower.

168769Goldie HawnFlikr

Hawn's film career includes notable roles in There's a Girl in My Soup, Butterflies Are Free, The Sugarland Express, Shampoo, Foul Play, and Seems Like Old Times. Her performance in Private Benjamin earned her an Academy Award nomination for Best Actress. She also starred in Overboard, Bird on a Wire, Death Becomes Her , Housesitter, The First Wives Club, The Out-of-Towners, and The Banger Sisters. After a hiatus, Hawn returned to the screen with roles in Snatched, The Christmas Chronicles, and The Christmas Chronicles 2.

However, Hawn’s impact extends far beyond the silver screen through her profound contributions to education and child development via her MindUP program. 

In response to the rising issues of school violence, youth depression, and suicide, and the failure of the education system to address the increasing stress in children's lives, Hawn established the Goldie Hawn Foundation in 2003. By leveraging cutting-edge scientific research, the Foundation created educational programs aimed at enhancing the social and emotional development of children. Collaborating with leading experts in neuroscience, education, psychology, and research, the Foundation developed MindUP, an evidence-based curriculum for grades K-12. This program equips children with tools to self-regulate, understand their emotions, reduce stress, sharpen concentration, increase empathy, and improve academic performance. MindUP is the flagship initiative of The Hawn Foundation, which impacts over six million children all over the world. 

The Genesis of MindUP

The inception of MindUP can be traced back to Hawn's deep concern over the rising levels of stress, anxiety, and negativity among children. Witnessing these challenges, Hawn envisioned a program that would not only equip children with academic knowledge but also teach skills to manage emotions and mindfulness practices that enhance learning and academic performance, and build resilience.

MindUP believes that: “Every person deserves a fair chance at a healthier and more balanced life. By teaching learners of all ages how to regulate emotions, calm the nervous system, and choose kindness and gratitude daily, we create a more interconnected and compassionate future for all” (https://mindup.org/).

The MindUP curriculum is a 15-lesson series published by Scholastic and is based on the four pillars: neuroscience, social-emotional learning, positive psychology, and mindful awareness.

The Core Principles of MindUP

MindUP is grounded in four core pillars:

1. Neuroscience: The program begins by teaching children about the brain's functions, particularly the role of the amygdala, prefrontal cortex, and hippocampus in regulating emotions and behaviors. Understanding these concepts empowers students to recognize and manage their reactions to stress.

2. Mindful Awareness: Central to the curriculum is the practice of mindfulness, encouraging children to focus on the present moment. This practice enhances attention, reduces stress, and promotes emotional regulation. MindUP incorporates simple mindful breathing exercises and sensory activities into daily routines.

3. Positive Psychology: Emphasizing optimism and gratitude, MindUP helps children develop a positive outlook on life. Activities that foster kindness, gratitude journals, and the practice of savoring happy moments are integral components that boost children's overall happiness and well-being.

4. Social-Emotional Learning: MindUP nurtures skills such as empathy, perspective-taking, and problem-solving. By engaging in collaborative projects and reflective discussions, children learn to build healthy relationships and make responsible decisions.

“Our evidence-based curriculum creates long-term impact by teaching about the emotional center of the brain. Each of our lessons has a direct neurological correlate to strengthen students’ ability to regulate emotions, focus attention, and build empathy” (https://mindup.org/).

Implementation and Impact

MindUP's curriculum is designed for students from pre-kindergarten through to twelfth grade and is adaptable to various educational settings in schools and at home. Teachers are trained to integrate the program into their classrooms, creating an environment where mindfulness and emotional well-being are prioritized alongside academic achievement.

Studies and testimonials from educators and students underscore the positive impact of MindUP. Research has shown that students who participate in the program exhibit improved academic performance, enhanced emotional regulation, and reduced levels of stress and anxiety. Teachers report a more harmonious classroom atmosphere, where students are more focused, compassionate, and engaged. See more at: https://mindup.org/our-research/.

Expanding the Reach

Under Hawn's leadership, MindUP has grown into a global initiative, reaching millions of children across different countries such as the US, Canada, UK, Finland, Ireland, Venezuela, Uganda, Portugal, Serbia, Jordan, Hong Kong, Australia, and New Zealand. The program's success has prompted collaborations with educational institutions, governments, and organizations worldwide. Through workshops, online resources, and community events, MindUP continues to expand its reach, making mindfulness education accessible to diverse populations.

Hawn has also authored two best-selling books: a memoir, "A Lotus Grows in the Mud" in 2005, and "10 Mindful Minutes" in 2011, which offers advice on raising healthy, joyful, and resilient children. In 2015, she released "10 Mindful Minutes: A Journal," a practical companion to her previous book, providing prompts and exercises to incorporate mindfulness into daily life.

168769WikiGoldie Hawn

Hawn has been with her partner, Kurt Russell, for over 30 years, and together they have four grown children—Oliver and Kate Hudson, Wyatt Russell, and stepson Boston Russell—along with six grandchildren. Hawn's belief that "children light the path to joy" has driven her lifelong commitment to creating innovative solutions, such as MindUP, to help children thrive.

Hawn’s latest project is a short documentary called The Teen Brain which has been created to help further understanding and spark conversations about the critical time of brain development during the teenage years.

The Teen Brain - Executive Producer - Goldie Hawn and MindUP. The film was directed by Tiffany Shlain, The Teen Brain is a 10-min short film that explores what's happening in the teenage brain, illuminating that teenagers are emotionally brilliant super-learners with brains that are undergoing rapid and significant remodeling and development. Based on the latest research on adolescence, and showcasing both teens and doctors and psychologists, “The Teen Brain” offers tools to stay balanced and navigate the powerful adolescent years.