Filmmaker

Tiffany Shlain & Goldie Hawn Win The MY HERO Media Award

by Abigail Richardson from MY HERO Staff

The MY HERO Project is thrilled to announce that Tiffany Shlain, and executive producer Goldie Hawn of MindUP, will be honored with the 2024 MY HERO Media Award at our 20th Annual Film Festival. The event will take place on November 15th at the Ann and Jerry Moss Theater at New Roads School in Santa Monica, California. 

This prestigious award recognizes individuals and groups who use media to drive positive change in the world, a mission Tiffany has passionately pursued throughout her career. Her latest project, "The Teen Brain," exemplifies her impactful work in this field.

The Teen Brain

Directed by Emmy-Nominated director Tiffany Shlain and executive produced by Goldie Hawn and MindUP, The Teen Brain is a 10-min short film that explores what's happening in the teenage brain, illuminating that teenagers are emotionally brilliant super-learners with brains that are undergoing rapid and significant remodeling and development. Based on the latest research on adolescence, and showcasing both teens and doctors and psychologists, “The Teen Brain” offers tools to stay balanced and navigate the powerful adolescent years. Find resources and discussion questions for all ages at letitripple.org/theteenbrain

Watch the film here: /the-teen-brain

Read the MY HERO Story about Goldie Hawn and MindUp: https://myhero.com/goldie-hawn-and-mindup

Tiffany Shlain: A Visionary in Technology, Film, and Social Change

Recognized by Newsweek as one of the "Women Shaping the 21st Century," Tiffany Shlain is a multifaceted artist, Emmy-nominated filmmaker, national bestselling author, and the founder of the Webby Awards. Shlain’s work spans various mediums, including sculptures, films, and performances, delving into the intersections of feminism, philosophy, technology, neuroscience, and nature.

The Museum of Modern Art in New York premiered her one-woman spoken cinema show, "Dear Human," and her recent art exhibition, "Human Nature," was showcased by the National Women’s History Museum. The centerpiece sculpture, "DENDROFEMONOLOGY, A Feminist History Tree Ring," was installed on the National Mall in DC from November 1-4, and a large-scale photograph of the work was featured in the de Young Museum of Fine Arts exhibition.

168763Tiffany SlainThe Webby Awards

Shlain’s solo exhibition "Human Nature" will be presented by the Nancy Hoffman Gallery in New York on September 5th, 2024. Additionally, she is collaborating with artist Ken Goldberg on an exhibition for the Getty Museum's Pacific Standard Time: Art & Science Collide art initiative. Titled "Ancient Wisdom for A Future Ecology: Trees, Time & Technology," this exhibition will be on display at the Skirball Cultural Center in Los Angeles, opening on October 17th, 2024.

Her numerous accolades include being selected by the Albert Einstein Foundation for their Genius100 list, receiving the Neil Postman Award for Career Achievement in Intellectual Activity, and being featured on NPR’s list of best commencement speeches. Known for her dynamic cinematic talks, Shlain performs internationally. Her films, which have premiered at the Sundance Film Festival, have garnered over 60 awards and have been showcased at US embassies globally to represent America.

Shlain’s book, "24/6: Giving up Screens One Day a Week to Get More Time, Creativity, and Connection," won the Marshall McLuhan Outstanding Book Award. Her latest film, "The Teen Brain," executive produced by Goldie Hawn and the MindUP program, was recently released.

Represented by the Nancy Hoffman Gallery in New York, Shlain has been writing her monthly newsletter, Breakfast @ Tiffany's, for over 25 years. Follow her on Twitter @tiffanyshlain.

Background: Early Life and Education

Born in 1970 in Mill Valley, California, Shlain was immersed in an intellectually stimulating environment from an early age. Her father, Dr. Leonard Shlain, was a noted surgeon and author, whose works explored the relationships between art, science, and technology. This early exposure to interdisciplinary thinking profoundly influenced Tiffany's later work. Shlain attended the University of California, Berkeley, where she majored in film theory and interdisciplinary studies.

The Webby Awards

In 1996, at the dawn of the Internet revolution, Shlain founded the Webby Awards, an annual event that honors excellence on the Internet. Shlain's vision for the Webby Awards was to highlight the potential of the Internet as a platform for creativity and social change. Under her leadership, the awards grew exponentially, reflecting the rapid expansion and evolution of the internet itself.

Filmmaking

Shlain's work as a filmmaker is marked by a unique blend of humor, humanity, and insightful commentary on contemporary issues. Her 2011 documentary, "Connected: An Autoblogography About Love, Death & Technology," explores the impact of technology on human relationships and the environment. The film was critically acclaimed for its innovative narrative style and thought-provoking content.

She continued to explore the implications of technology and interconnectedness in subsequent films, such as "Brain Power: From Neurons to Networks" and "The Future Starts Here," a web series that examines the intersection of technology, science, and culture. Her films have been screened at prestigious venues, including the Sundance Film Festival and the Tribeca Film Festival, and have been translated into multiple languages, extending their reach globally.

Advocacy

Beyond filmmaking, Shlain is a prominent advocate for the ethical use of technology and its potential to foster global connectivity and understanding. Her 2019 book, "24/6: The Power of Unplugging One Day a Week," advocates for a technology Shabbat, encouraging people to disconnect from their digital devices one day a week to reconnect with themselves and their loved ones. Shlain is also a sought-after speaker, delivering keynote addresses at conferences, universities, and corporate events. Her TED Talks have garnered millions of views, further amplifying her message of balancing technology with personal well-being and social responsibility.

Read an interview with Tiffany and MY HERO’s Wendy Jewell here: tiffany_shlain-interview.

What's next?

Tiffany has a solo exhibition at Nancy Hoffman Gallery in Chelsea in New York which opens September 5. Said Tiffany, " I am so honored to have her represent me and present my first NYC exhibition. During the time of the show, I am convening a big art activation for equality, women's rights and climate justice, NYC on Sept 21 with Women Connect4Good, the ERA Coalition, and other exciting partners. More info coming soon -- save the date."

Following that is Tiffany and Ken's joint museum exhibition for Getty’s PST ART: Art & Science Collide initiative, opening at the Skirball Cultural Center on Oct 17 in Los Angeles.

Stay posted about Tiffany's art events mentioned above by filling out this short form.