Grandparents

by Kelly and Alysha from Doylestown

Our grandparents are our heroes for many reasons. They have been living hard lives for as long as we know.

(Kelly) My grandma is a great person. She is with my granfather, who is in a wheelchair. He can't do anything for himself and yet they both keep going no matter how hard things get. My grandfather served in the army. He went to Germany only a few months after they got married. They sent eachother letters and pictures. He wrote my grandmother a letter for everyday he was gone, true love. Around when he came back from Germany, he was diagnosed with Muscular Dystrophy. He struggled to do many things that you and I may take for granted and still do. Today, he sits in a wheelchair all day long. My grandmother takes care of him. It is like she has to live two lives because she has to do so many things for him. She also cares for my great grandmother who is in her later 90's. I can only imagine what it is like for her. I see my grandfather taking all these pills and shots just so he can go through another day. They both amaze me everyday with their will to go on and their strength. I also see their love for one another. They just had their 50th anniversary and you could just see the love in their eyes. They influence me in so many ways thinkable.

(Alysha) Cancer. Still no cure for it. My grandmother was told she had cancer 2 years ago. She is still striving for life. She is an example to me of how the willpower of one person can bring them through years at a time. I love her very much and can't imagine my world without her. She makes me happy when I am down. I just don't know the way to make her happy when she is thinking about her cancer and is down because I can't say it will go away and all be better because she knows it will not. She is a great influence for me because she sees life in a way that I can't right now.

<3*~Kelly and Alysha~*<3