Hakeem Olajuwon

by Katherine from Watertown

Hakeem is one of the greatest basketball players of all times. Besides his ablilties on the court I really admire him. He is modest and humble, not trying to be the center of attention. Most of todays athletes strive for being the tops and the most popular, but not Olajuwon.

Today it is hard for stars to keep their lives private. Much of Hakeem's life though he keeps to himself. We don't, for instance, know much about his family, or if he has one. I think it's good that he does keep some out of the public eyes because I'm sure it gets tiring some of the time to have everyone looking at you every minute of the day.

A lot of athletes today also lead misgiving lives. Their agents boost them by making them seem as perfect as possible and the best at whatever they're doing. Since, as I mentioned before, Hakeem doesn't try to be in the spotlight all of the time the people respect him for who he is and what he has done. He is seems more like a human being instead of a god.

I think he is in most parts definitely a role model for kids to follow. When you are that famous you can't help but be a role model if you want to or not. That's why I think that more stars need to think about this and make sure they are carrying themselves rightly.