Hans Zimmer

by Jacob Spurgiesz from San Diego, California in United States

“What’s the point of getting up in the morning unless you’re gonna have an adventure? As the moments of our life are ticking away you have to be aware that it needs to be an adventure.”

“I want to go and write music that announces to you that you can feel something. I don’t want to tell you what to feel, but I just want you to have the possibility of feeling something.”

132397Hans ZimmerColliderVideo [CC BY 3.0 (https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/3.0)]His movies litter the cinema. His influence floods Hollywood. His inspiration lights up the world. Hans Zimmer represents something special, and the world may never see a more touching and influential person in music again. “Zimmer was born on September 12, 1957 in Frankfurt, Germany” (Hans Zimmer). His love for music as a child was evident at a young age. When Zimmer was three years old, his father died. Devastated by this loss, Zimmer decided to pursue his dream for his dad at only three years old. He moved to London at seven and started working in various musical jobs throughout his school and school programs. As a youth, however, he struggled with authority, and could not understand the reason for some of the required practice his piano and music teachers recommended for him. He responded poorly to their criticism, preferring to learn music in his own time (Hans Zimmer). In 1979, he started and began playing with the Buggles, a pop band of the '70s (Hans Zimmer). He soon lost interest, however. In the 1990s, Zimmer started an internship with Stanley Myers, a famous composer who agreed to somewhat teach Zimmer what he knew about scoring films (Hans Zimmer). Zimmer learned quickly and began to move up Hollywood's totem pole. He helped Myers produce many great movies, but wanted to supervise his own. In the late 1990s, after much success of several short films and a certain animated film called The Lion King, Zimmer accepted a position as Head of Music for Dreamworks Animation (Hans Zimmer). He continues to make great movies today, and can be found often in Hollywood and his crazy studio, consisting of huge computers and speakers pounding some serious sound (The Secret Lair). Magnificent as he has performed in music, many may not consider him a hero, although his traits suggest a rather different one. Zimmer represents a mental hero. Although he doesn’t rush into a burning building or rescue someone from a riptide, he definitely can spiritually change people’s hearts to gold, make someone’s day, or purely give hope for others to achieve greatness. All in all, Hans Zimmer is an unusual hero of the mind, inspiring people with his underdog story from a rough childhood where he became self made and dedicated, and inspiring through his world-altering music that brings many emotions.

Hans Zimmer is an incredible self-made man, considering his underdog story and difficult childhood. Zimmer came from a good family, but, as mentioned in the introduction, he struggled with the death of his father: “He was a creative kid and when his father died, he became overly depressed. Music became an essential pillar of support for him apart from his mother and hence, his love for music kept growing until he embarked into adulthood, and started taking his music career seriously” (Hans Zimmer). Although Hans used music as an antidepressant, normal for someone who was so down on themselves, he did something else as well. He dedicated everything he had into his music, at such a young age (6), all of his time, his commitment to something he loved. But he also did it for others, as in his dad. As if this trial wasn't hard hard enough, Zimmer had other struggles. Unlike most geniuses who thrived in the classroom because of their natural smarts, Zimmer struggled to attain such grades and struggled with the teachers he worked with. According to the book Contemporary Musicians, “… once he was admitted to piano classes, he disliked it stating that he didn't want any formal training in music. He constantly got thrown out of the schools due to the lack of concentration in the classes” (Hans Zimmer). This is an unusual piece of evidence to prove someone a hero, but Zimmer is the epitome of the unusual. Zimmer’s tough and difficult background shows a struggle. He lacked the talent the typical superstar does at a young age; his story also lacks the qualities of the normal hero story, where the person is a natural success at most of what they attempt. The fact that he can't get along with teachers and struggled in school, but still become a huge success despite it all, shows his self-made ability to become what he is today, because he simply couldn't work with others. It also shows that not just the natural talents become successes in life. In the end, Hans Zimmer's inspirational story pushes us to tears, but how dedicated and self-made he became after the incident to make himself better shows him to be a hero.

Hans Zimmer is an incredible self made man considering his underdog story and difficult childhood. Zimmer came from a good family, but, as mentioned in the introduction, Zimmer struggled with the death of his father: “He was a creative kid and when his father died, he became overly depressed. Music became an essential pillar of support for him apart from his mother and hence, his love for music kept growing until he embarked into adulthood, and started taking his music career seriously” (Hans Zimmer). Although Hans used music as an antidepressant, normal for someone who was so down on themselves, he did something else as well. He dedicated everything he had into his music, at such a young age(6); all of his time, his commitment to something he loved. But he also did it for others, as in his dad. As if this trial wasn’t hard hard enough, Zimmer had other struggles. Unlike most geniuses who thrived in the classroom because of their natural smarts, Zimmer struggled to attain such grades and struggled with the teachers he worked with. According to the book Contemporary Musicians, “… once he was admitted to piano classes, he disliked it stating that he didn’t want any formal training in music. He constantly got thrown out of the schools due to the lack of concentration in the classes” (Hans Zimmer). This is an unusual piece of evidence to prove someone a hero, but Zimmer is the epitome of the unusual. Zimmer’s tough and difficult background shows a struggle. He lacked the talent the typical superstar does at a young age; his story also lacks the qualities of the normal hero story, where the person is a natural success at most of what they attempt. The fact that he can’t get along with teachers and struggle in school, but still become a huge success despite it all shows his self made ability to become what he is today, because he simply couldn’t work with others. It also shows that not just the natural talents become successes in life. In the end, Hans Zimmer's inspirational story pushes us to tears, but how dedicated and self made he became after the incident to make himself better shows him to be a hero.

132449Zimmer's breakout movie. One of the first ones he did as the head composer.The Walt Disney Company [Public domain]Hans Zimmer makes us feel so many different emotions with his music and has changed the musical world forever. Few have touched the world like Zimmer, and his legacy lasts forever. Take a look at his amazing musical achievements, until only 2014 from Contemporary Musicians: "Academy Award, Best Original Score, 1995; Golden Globe, Best Original Score, 1995; Chicago Film Critics Award, Best Score, 1995; two Grammy Awards for Lion King, 1995; American Music Award, Best Album of the Year, 1995; Grammy Award for Crimson Tide, 1996; BMI's Lifetime Achievement Award, 1996; BMI Film Music Award, 1989-1998, 2010, 2013; ASCAP Awards, Top Box Office Films, 2001-2013; Grammy Award for The Dark Knight, 2007; Annie Award, Best Music, 2009; Star on Hollywood Walk of Fame, 2010; Saturn Award, Academy of Science Fiction, Fantasy & Horror Films, USA, Best Music, 2011; Classic BRIT Award, greater Composer of the Year, 2013." (Hans Zimmer) These awards show his success in the business, but also his influence on the musical world. Few people can win one award for their score, but Zimmer has won so many, meaning he has inspired so many people in so many different ways. For example, he won the Grammy Award for Dark Knight, but so did Interstellar (different awards): two different main soundtracks, one edgy, and one beautiful and calming to the listener (Interstellar). His wide range of ability contributes to his incredible feelings he gives to his audience in every single movie he makes. As well as his awards, Zimmer has more that makes him a special musician that can bring these intense emotions: “Hans Zimmer is a pioneer in computer technology, digital synthesizers, and electronic keyboards. His successful integration of digital electronics with traditional orchestral music can be heard in over 65 popular, successful, and critically acclaimed films and television shows” (Zimmer, Hans). Zimmer's awards proves he inspires, but his ability to use so many different areas of music shows he does more than that. Zimmer changed music and continues to change it to this day. Zimmer has taken the world of music and made it so much better. He took hold of the electronic side of music, and the normal music itself made by humans and not only combined it, but combined it successfully. In conclusion, Zimmer is a hero because he brings certain emotions using techniques the musical community has never witnessed in music, as proven by his awards. Although this does not show on the outside, Zimmer has changed the meaning of music scores through his techniques, and will continue to come up with new and better ways to do so.

Hans Zimmer is something special, and is a hero because of his beautiful musical abilities and magnificent comeback from a hindering childhood. His abilities in music expand beyond many or all of the competition, and his ability to come up with so many different themes make him connect easily with the audience and inspire them often. His background tugs at heartstrings and shows anyone can move past trials and make themselves who they want to be. Some people might believe heroes don't look like Hans Zimmer. Some might argue the real heroes of the world are ones that risk their lives for others - running into burning buildings, saving someone from drowning, or fighting in war for their country. But what they don't understand is why people like Zimmer are heroes. Sure, these heroes might never save someone’s life, but these heroes can change people’s minds and hearts. These heroes can make people reflect personally, find the courage to attack their everyday lives and make them great, or simply wonder in awe of someone breaking the impossible again. This is what Hans Zimmer does to change the world. In his own words, “I want to go and write music that announces to you that you can feel something. I don't want to tell you what to feel, but I just want you to have the possibility of feeling something” (qtd. In Top 25 Quotes). His awards show his ability to convey those feelings. His money has shown it as well. But apart from simple knowledge, I’ve looked at the fans of Zimmer. Turning on the music and seeing the comments, I know the hope that aspires from his music. There are so many comments of "this really made my day!" or, “I was feeling really down today. Thanks for making me feel better,” or, “My mom passed away, and this is the only song that makes me feel a lot better.” Everyday I see more and more people flood to his music or think of his backstory for hope. I thinks Hans knows it as well:  “Above all, Hans fully understands the milieu he’s born to occupy. It’s that all-immersive, hairs-on-the-back-of-the-neck thrill that cinema-goers experience when they catch the trailers for any film that he has scored: moments he describes as “like huge foghorns over a city, something that lasts seconds and shakes the seats in the theatre” (Interstellar/qtd. in Interstellar). Zimmer knows the role he has to play and does it well. So is Zimmer still not a hero because he doesn't physically help people, or is he a hero because he spiritually and mentally helps people? His movies litter cinema. His influence floods Hollywood. But Hans Zimmer communicates past a lot more than his success. Hans Zimmer represents an unusual hero, but a hero we can all learn from. How to learn and grow from trials, how to use your talents for others, how to not give up, how to influence people for the better, and how to be patient with your current situation; these are all things Zimmer has taught me and can hopefully teach you too.

"Hans Zimmer." Contemporary Musicians, vol. 34, Gale, 2002. Biography In Context, https://link.galegroup.com/apps/doc/K1608003090/BIC?u=powa9245&sid=BIC&xid=e75a257a  

Interstellar: The Genius Of Hans Zimmer's Film Scores.” UDiscoverMusic, 26 Sept. 2018, www.udiscovermusic.com/stories/hans-zimmer-interstellar-work/.

“The Secret Lair of Hans Zimmer, from Where He Inspires the World.” Stuck in Customs, 17 Jan. 2014, www.stuckincustoms.com/2010/01/29/the-secret-lair-of-hans-zimmer-from-where-he-inspires-the-world/.

“TOP 25 QUOTES BY HANS ZIMMER | A-Z Quotes.” A, www.azquotes.com/author/22890-Hans_Zimmer.  

"Zimmer, Hans.". “Zimmer, Hans.” International Dictionary of Films and Filmmakers, Encyclopedia.com, 2019, www.encyclopedia.com/people/literature-and-arts/film-and-television-biographies/hans-zimmer.

Interstellar Breakdown - Detail into Zimmer's breakdown of Interstellar
Goodreads - Really good quotes by Hans showing his character
International Dictionary of Filmmakers - Detailed biography of Zimmer's life
Famous Composers - Detailed description of Han's early life

Credit to Goodreads and Wikimedia.com for their quotes and pictures(Goodreads already credited in links)