Rick Hansen

by Reece from Chestermere, Alberta, Canada

Rick1 (www.canadianleadership.uottawa.ca)

Rick Hansen
By: Reece
Mar 7/07
A hero is someone you can look up to, a hero never gives up, a hero to me is Rick Hansen. He travelled around the world to raise money for spinal cord research. When he had finished he had 26 million dollars! He started in Vancouver on March 21, 1985 he ended a year later.

Rick2 (www.bctourismindustryconference.ca)

Rick Hansen was born in Vancouver, British Columbia in 1970. When he was young he was a very good athlete. When he got paralyzed he was very mad because he wasn’t the one who was driving when the truck flipped. He had lived in many places like Port Alberni, Fort St. John, Abbotsford and he last lived in Williams Lake. When he was paralyzed and in the hospital he thought he only had broken legs but he found out he was paralyzed when he investigated the hospital files in the 3rd hospital he was in.

Rick3 (www.central.cadets.ca)
Rick3 (www.central.cadets.ca)

What makes Rick a hero is he rode around the world in a wheelchair. He also raised $26 million for spinal cord research. On January 1, 1986 thieves stole about 3000 dollars worth of clothes but he still pushed on. He left to prove even if you are disabled you can reach your dreams.

Rick getting a cheque for 26 million dollers (www.mun.ca)

Today, Rick Hansen is still working to raise awareness and accessibility for towns. His foundation has raised 178 million dollars for spinal cord research, related programs and initiatives. Rick lives in Richman, British Columbia with his wife, Amanda and their three daughters Emma, Alana and Rebecca. He loves to be outdoors. He is the president and CEO of the Rick Hansen foundation. He is also the chairman of both the Fraser River Sturgeon Conservatory Society and the Pacific Salmon Endowment Fund Society.

Rick In Winter (cnews.canoe.ca)
Rick In Winter (cnews.canoe.ca)

Rick Hansen is a hero to many people but most of all he’s a hero to me because he proved he could do something that most people said he could not. He’s a hero because he raised money for spinal cord research so people that were paralyzed in the future might have a cure. He’s also a hero because he never gave up. He always tried to be the best. That is why I look up to Rick Hansen. That is why he’s my hero.

My Hero Project - Rick Hansen - - Different Person's view on what rick did.
Rick Hansen Wheelchair Athlete and Physically Impaired Advocate - Another Website's view on rick hansen
Rick Hansen Foundation - Rick's Story - Rick's Website