Harriet Tubman

by Marley Gurmendi from Boulder, Colorado in United States

The hero I chose is Harriet Tubman. She was born in Dorchester County Maryland in 1820, the actual day is unknown. Harriet Tubman became a slave as soon as she was born and in 1849, she was able to escape her owner and run 90 miles to freedom. Shortly after she escaped she returned to Maryland to free her family. Eventually she became a conductor of the underground railroad and went back and forth 19 times freeing over 300 slaves and she never lost a traveler. Her acts of bravery saved hundreds of lives.

I chose Harriet Tubman to be my hero because she is an inspiration. Women in 1849 were looked down upon, especially women of color, but despite all that she went through, she was able to free herself and over 300 others from slavery. After a couple of her rescues, owners were starting to notice their slaves missing and started to keep a lookout, but this never stopped Harriet and it was never a big issue for her. She was still able to rescue slaves and get them to freedom safely.

Harriet Tubman is a hero to all the slaves she freed but she is also a hero to people she did not save or even know. Harriet Tubman is my hero because she makes me feel like I can do anything. She is someone I along with many others look up to. If it weren’t for her heroic actions, who knows, maybe women would still be treated unfairly. One of my goals in life is to become a role model just like Harriet Tubman. People will always look up to her, and not only women but men as well. Someday I want to be someone people look up to, whether it be teammates, family, siblings or people I don't particularly know, I want to be able to make people feel the way she makes me feel.