LESSON RESOURCE

Heroism: For Character Education and Social/Emotional Learning

CELEBRATE THE BEST OF HUMANITY ONE STORY AT A TIME!

RESOURCES FOR CHARACTER EDUCATION

When students think about characteristics that they recognize as "good,"  they are on their way to exploring the concept of heroism.  By providing examples of people who epitomize these traits, students experience the choices people make in difficult times to promote good character. 

Basic questions relating to positive values can be used with any of the MY HERO medium, whether it's stories, films, art, or audio.  We've curated some examples:

Courage is demonstrated by heroes from across the globe in these featured films, art and stories. 

CHARACTER COURAGE
Credit: MH

Kindness is demonstrated by heroes from across the globe in these featured films, art and stories. 

CHARACTER KINDNESS
Credit: MH

Perseverance is demonstrated by heroes from across the globe in these featured films, art and stories. 

CHARACTER PERSEVERANCE
Credit: MH

Forgiveness is demonstrated by heroes from across the globe in these featured films, art and stories.

character forgiveness
Credit: mh

Social Justice is demonstrated by heroes from across the globe in these featured films, art and stories.

Character Social Justice
Credit: mh

Compassion is demonstrated by heroes from across the globe in these featured films, art and stories.

CHARACTER COMPASSION
Credit: MH

SOCIAL AND EMOTIONAL LEARNING and MY HERO

The films that are part of the Character Education words, above, also can be used for social and emotional learning.  Apply these concepts to the films:

The competencies used in many school system SEL programs are:
  1. "GROWTH MINDSET: The belief that one’s abilities can grow with effort. A "fixed mindset" means you tell yourself things are the way they are and always will be."  A "growth mindset" means you tell yourself there can be positive change. This is also called Self Awareness. 
  2. SELF-EFFICACY: The belief in one’s own ability to succeed in achieving an outcome or reaching a goal.  This powerful core value can be seen in stories of endurance and perseverance.
  3. SELF-MANAGEMENT: The ability to regulate one’s emotions, thoughts, and behaviors effectively in different situations. When you look at MY HERO media with students, stop and ask them to speculate about the emotions and thoughts of the heroes based on their behavior.
  4. SOCIAL AWARENESS: The ability to take the perspective of and empathize with others from diverse backgrounds and cultures, to understand social and ethical norms for behavior, and to recognize family, school, and community resources and supports.  MY HERO stories, films, art, and audio come from around the world, presenting diverse cultures, offering a wealth of material to use in discussing social awareness issues with students.
  5. RESPONSIBLE DECISION MAKING: The ability to make constructive choices about personal behavior and social interactions based on ethical standards, safety concerns, and social norms. The realistic evaluation of consequences of various actions, and a consideration of the well-being of oneself and others. A selection of films and stories from the MY HERO focus on responsible decision making. 

Organizer created on 7/1/2020 11:32:54 PM by Jerrilyn Jacobs

Last edited 9/25/2023 12:25:01 PM by Laura Nietzer