LESSON RESOURCE

Responsible Decision Making

Curated Resource Social Emotional Learning

Films Demonstrating Responsible Choices

Responsible Choices

Responsible Choices is the ability to make positive, constructive decisions about how to behave, based on consideration of ethical standards (i.e., right and wrong) as well as relevant social norms and safety concerns.

Films Demonstrating Responsible Choices

Citizenship

Produced by:Anson Schloat and John G. Young

A film about John Lewis on citizenship and character: "To be a good citizen is to obey the rules...the laws. Unless those laws conflict with your conscience.

Words Have Power

Produced by:Lynne Cherry

10-year-old Jaysa rallies the community with speeches about how the power plant causes asthma. When they succeed in shutting down the plant, Jaysa concludes that “words have power.”

A Mile in Our Shoes

Produced by:Daniel Walker - UK

Young people relate what it is like to have to care for others with illnesses and disabilities. They are called young carers, and each have to take on great responsibilities.

Mutual Rescue: Eric & Peety

Produced by:Advocate Creative

Eric weighed 340 pounds and was diagnosed with high cholesterol, high blood pressure, and Type II Diabetes. His doctor told him he had 5 years to live. Then he met Peety.

The Last Straw

Lynne Cherry

Nine-year-old Milo Cress is concerned about the millions of straws that pollute waterways, waste fossil-fuel resource and harm ocean creatures. He convinces restaurants to “go straw-free”. 

The Buddy Club

Produced by:Jackie McMahon

The Buddy Club: Started by high school student Katie McMahon- finding friends for friends in need.

Stories Demonstrating Responsible Choices

Trash Heroes

By: Elias Amador

Trash Heroes is an international, volunteer-led organization that mobilizes youth in over 12 countries to clean and prevent plastic waste in their communities.

Kids Helping Kids is run by kids - and for kids

By: Cathryn J. Prince <br> Contributor of The Christian Science Monitor<br> <h5>...

Kids Helping Kids, the Connecticut-based nonprofit youth group of middle schoolers and teens, plans and carries out projects that make a positive difference in their community and beyond.

Additional Resources for SEL and Character Education

Resources for Character Education

By: Becky Miller
Teachers: Use MY HERO Multimedia Resources to Explore Character Traits and the Heroes that Demonstrate these Values

Organizer created on 8/25/2020 1:56:55 PM by Laura Nietzer

Last edited 12/22/2020 11:48:31 AM by Laura Nietzer