LESSON RESOURCE

Resources for Character Education

Teachers: Use MY HERO Multimedia Resources to Explore Character Traits and the Heroes that Demonstrate these Values

CHARACTER Traits
Credit: mh

Character Education through Examples of Heroes

COMPASSION is the sympathetic concern for someone else's pain or misfortune, with the desire to help. Learn about compassion through the examples of heroes.

Character Trait: Compassion

COURAGE is the quality of mind or spirit that enables a person to face difficulty, danger, and pain without fear. Learn more about courage through the examples of heroes.

Character Trait: Courage

FORGIVENESS is the ability to release feelings of resentment or revenge towards those who have wronged you. Learn about forgiveness through the examples of heroes.

Character Trait: Forgiveness

MY HERO Suggested Video

"How Can Schools Teach Character?" (2017) by Walton Family Foundation

The Character Lab was created to study strategies and practices that build character, to create educational tools from scientific insights, to create new ways to measure character and to change the conversation about character development in K-12 education. In this Innovations in Education video, Character Lab founder Angela Duckworth talks with Walton Family Foundation board chair Carrie Walton Penner about her research and the impact she hopes that it has. Learn more about the Innovations in Education series: http://innovations.education.

KINDNESS is the quality of being friendly, generous, and considerate. Learn about kindness through the examples of heroes.                                                                                     

Character Trait: Kindness

PERSEVERANCE is the tenacity for a singularly important goal in the face of difficulties. Learn about perseverance through the examples of heroes. 

Character Trait: Perseverance

SOCIAL JUSTICE embodies fair and just relations between the individual and society. Learn more about social justice through the examples of heroes. 

Character Trait: Social Justice

MY HERO Suggested Video

"The Science of Character" (2014) by Tiffany Shlain & Let It Ripple Film Studio

Sign up for the next Character Day at https://www.letitripple.org/character-day/!
Character Day is an annual global day with free films and resources devoted to developing who we are and who we want to be in the world. Sign up your school, classroom, organization, company, community, or family to participate.

Character Lesson Plans & Essay - Join our Discussion

Heroic Virtues Forum
Credit: MY HERO Forum

About Character Day

Credit: MY HERO Films

For Additional Resources and Lesson Plans, Go to the MY HERO Lesson Plan Center

Our Curators

Artwork curated by MY HERO Arts Education and Gallery director Giselle Villatoro. 

Short films curated by MY HERO International Film Festival director Wendy Milette

Hero Stories curated by MY HERO General Editor and Story Director Shannon Luders-Manuel. 

Audio curated by MY HERO Audio director Stu Pearlman. 

Organizer created on 8/13/2016 12:42:11 PM by Becky Miller

Last edited 7/22/2020 12:25:31 PM by Laura Nietzer