HIAS For the most vulnerable of us

"HIAS stands for a world in which refugees find welcome, safety, and freedom."

HIAS
Credit: Hias.org

HIAS saves the lives of those who are the most vulnerable of the refugees. A Refugee is any person forced to flee from their country by violence or persecution. Beginning in a small storefront in Manhattan in 1888, a group of Jewish acquaintances, friends, and family worked hard to help fellow Jews get safely to America and formed the Hebrew Immigrant Aid Society (HIAS). Many Jews around the world were unable to help themselves at the time due to systematic governmental and societal mistreatment of the Jewish people in Eastern Europe and around the world. The sheer power of HIAS has its testament in having helped over 4.5 million Jews flee to safety to the point where the Jewish people are  now mostly resettled, giving way for the organization to turn its focus everywhere else. For the past 10-15 years HIAS has been helping to resettle Syrian refugees,  LGBT refugees in Kenya and Uganda, victims of sexual violence, and many more. HIAS is determined to keep making this country one that welcomes refugees.

For a more detailed explanation on the fascinating history of HIAS please go to:

https://www.hias.org/history

HEROES HELP HEROES

Eva Haller
Credit: unknown
Milana Vayntraub
Credit: Cantdonothing.org
Regina Spektor
Credit: grcmc.org

Organizer created on 12/22/2017 2:02:37 PM by

Last edited 1/7/2018 10:17:14 PM by Jeanne Meyers