Essays on the Theme of Heroism

How I define a hero

by Zoe Humphrey from Charlotte, Nc

“Hard times don’t create heroes. It is during the hard times when the “hero” within us is revealed.” These words are true, but maybe not for everyone. Heroes aren't just born heroes, they have to run night and day to board the train towards their dreams. But some choose to become bitter during hard times, instead of using it to help them grow.  Heroes don't get stopped by switch rails, but stay on track and keep rolling on. They work as hard as engines, conducting the course of their life persistently, trying to achieve their goals they’ve set out to accomplish. Heroes are also defined by their character because it gives people a reason to trust them. They aren't rude or flamboyant with egos as big as the horizon. They're just regular people. Regular people who show the strongest unbreakable love, who hold a heart of humility, and who inspire people with their tenacious determination tough enough to withstand even the harshest of backlash. They choose to do what is right and choose to face adversity, even if it costs them their lives.  

Billy Graham, a true man of God, is a man who had a heart for others. But somehow - through his rising popularity - he managed to stay humble. He did not let the fame and attention become his master; instead, he stayed loyal to the One who had put him where he was. He was, truly, an advocate for the weak, and rightfully earned the title “fisher of men.” Though his beginnings were modest, he devoted most of his time to God and, in return, God used him in ways he could not have even imagined. He took time out of his day to help raise his children and to care for his wife, even after a hard day at work. He met with leaders, Presidents, and even movie stars, praying with them and telling them about the love of Jesus. On one account, he even met with Michael Jordan. There has never been, and there probably will never be, someone quite like Billy Graham. He is a true role model but, if you told him that, he would give God the credit.  His humility, among other things, is what sets him apart from other people and this is why I proudly call him my hero.

Undying love, a quality only true heroes possess -- A hero like Severus Snape. An unlikely hero? Yes. Would most people call him a hero? Probably not. But even though his skin may seem rough, even he loved once. His love for Lily Potter was so strong, it could surpass even the bonds of time. He loved her ever since they were children, but greed got the best of him, causing them to drift apart. Years later, Lily was endangered, Snape did all he could to keep her safe, but it wasn’t enough. When she was murdered, Snape's heart broke into a million pieces. After that he was stuck with Harry as his student. Even though it didn't seem like it, deep down Snape had grown to love him. He helped him put the puzzle together that led to Voldemort’s defeat. If more people could love, the world would be a much better place and the fact that Snape could learn to love means that anyone can. This just comes to show, that the most unlikely people, can turn out to be the most unlikely of heroes.

When we think of Martin Luther King Jr ,we think Leader, role model, speaker. But when I think of King, I think of persistence, dedication and determination.  I think of how he pursued his dream, even though he was driven and beaten down by persecutors and skeptics...all for how he gave his life for the freedom of others. How he inspired the mass of America to fight for what is rightly owed to them. About the nights when he was kept awake by the sounds of gunshots piercing through the bitter air, praying that they were not near. His ears rang with the sound of hatred. He led peaceful protests and boycotts and used them as his ammo to fight back. In a quote he once said, “If you can fly then run, If you can't run, then walk if you can't walk, then crawl by all means, keep moving.” This is an example of his undying devotion for the task he was committed to accomplish. His dream is so close to being accomplished, but my dream is that more people will be like him. That people won’t give up when they fail, but use it to grow. That people would imply change that would cause more people to do what is right.

True heroes, real or fake, are rare. But as time continues, we need more of them to rise up and stand tall for what is right. We need to be “heroes” ourselves. These people are heroes in my eyes, because of their ability to stay humble, their grit and determination, and their loving heart for others. These heroes are different from the stereotypical American because they aren't afraid to be different. They’re not afraid to stand out, or be persecuted for what is right. The research and time I have spent on this essay has really made me ponder about what being a hero means, and what it takes to be one. I’ve realized it’s different for everyone, and the qualities will vary. But one very important thing that I learned is that we all have the ability to be someone's hero, we just have to dig down deep inside to find it for ourselves.