Human Rights Day

Learn about the importance of the UN Declaration of Universal Human Rights in 1948 with MY HERO's showcase of heroes fighting for equality, justice and dignity. 

Credit: UN Photo [Used with permission]

Teachers: Visit the free MY HERO Lesson Plan for Human Rights Day. Includes discussion guide and learning outcomes.

Learn About Human Rights Through a Hero Film

PROJECT CORAZON Matamoros

Sandi Bachom
On August 24, 2019, a group of volunteer lawyers from Lawyers For Good Government walked across the border at Matamoros, Mexico to help asylum seekers.

The Office of Missing Children

Produced by:REVEAL
More than 2,600 kids were separated from their parents at the U.S.-Mexico border under President Donald. What happened to those children?

I am a #youngworker

Saba Waheed

I am a #youngworker combines worker experience and research data into a powerful and artistic animated story.

The creation of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights in1948 was a historic milestone for human rights.

These are fundamental rights that must be protected. Everyone is entitled to these rights, regardless of race, color, religion, sex, language, political or other opinion, national or social origin, property, birth or other status.

These Four Stories Highlight Heroes Around the World Fighting for Inalienable Rights.

Linda Sarsour

By: Noor Khalil

Linda Sarsour, from New York, was co-chair of the 2017 and 2019 Women's March, has been involved in organizational efforts Black Lives Matter, and spoke out against the Muslim travel ban.

Chen Guangcheng

By: Soham Pawaskar
Chen Guangcheng, known as the "Barefoot Lawyer," is a blind civil rights activist in rural China, focusing on human rights, women's rights and the rights of the poor.

Shirin Ebadi

By: Chloe McGee
Shirin Ebadi, an Iranian lawyer and former judge, won the Nobel Peace Prize in 2003 for fighting for the rights of women, children and refugees.

John Lewis

By: Kathy Crockett, MY HERO
John Lewis has worked for civil rights for all for over 40 years.

Learn About Human Rights Through Hero Artwork

Introduction | The Human Rights Painting Project 

Art Activist Tom Block began the Human Rights Painting Project in 2002 to raise awareness of human rights issues around the world, as well as to support the work of Amnesty International. Among the vital group's goals are ensuring fair, prompt trials for political prisoners; abolishing torture and other ill treatment of incarcerated persons; and ending political killings and "disappearances." The Project also seeks freedom for all "prisoners of conscience" — people who have been detained for their political, religious or other beliefs or their national or ethnic origin, color, sex or other status.

Jacqueline Moudeina - Human Rights Painting Project

By: Tom Block

Jacqueline Moudeina has received numerous death threats — unintended consequences of her distinction as one of Chad's most prominent human rights lawyers.

General Jose Gallardo

By: Tom Block

He was imprisoned on November 9, 1993 for having proposed a military ombudsman, a human rights defender for both civilians and the military for the improper actions of the Army. Amnesty International considered him a prisoner of conscience.

Dalai Lama

By: Tom Block - Human Rights Painting Project
The Dalai Lama, Tenzin Gyatso, has been lauded worldwide for his philosophy and practice of peace, non-violence, universal responsibility, and compassion.

Gjergj Komnino

By: Tom Block

Gjergj Komnino spent 25 years in an Albanian prison for "anti-Communist crimes" before seeking asylum. Tom Block celebrated him in the Human Rights Painting Project.

From the UN official website: Learn about the women who helped shape the Universal Declaration of Human Rights

Learn about the Women Who Helped Shape the Universal Declaration of Human Rights
Credit: UN Photo / Used with permission

Illustrated Version of the UN Declaration of Human Rights

Universal Declaration of Human Rights illustrated book
Credit: Yacine Ait Kaci (YAK) [UN.org]

Illustrations by Yacine Ait Kaci (YAK)

This illustrated edition of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights (UDHR) is published by the United Nations in Arabic, Chinese, English, French, Russian, and Spanish.

Learn More About Human Rights Defenders from MY HERO's Library of Heroes

Links

Organizer created on 12/4/2017 5:51:07 PM by Staff

Last edited 7/22/2023 12:52:24 PM by Abigail Richardson